what kind of respirator do I need

smitty112233

Cadet
I was just at Home Depot and looking for a respirator so that I can fibreglass my floor this weekend. Just wondering what kind I need. I will be doing most of the resin laying in my garage or outside. I'm also using poly.<br /><br />Thanks.

Realgun

Commander
Re: what kind of respirator do I need

The Home depot has the paint and sanding masks that you want. It looks like a triangle for your nose and 2 bulbs where the cartridges sit. They are about 19 dollars and well worth it. Mostly because they are comfortable. I have not yet replaced a cartridge but I use the shop vac to suck the dust out from the outside. Off my face of course. :)

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what kind of respirator do I need

Sounds like you're talking about fiberglassing, not cutting. So dust is not the issue, right? You state you're using Poly resin, so unless you want lung and brain tumors, you'll want a mask that eats VOC's, also known as Organic Vapors. It'll state this on the package. You also want to make sure you are clean shaven, and don't use the mask beyond it's rated time limit. Read it. For instance, it may say after 50 hours of exposure you are supposed to dispose of the cartridges. Keep track of the time and pitch them when it's used up. And if you can smell the fiberglass while wearing the mask, you're either doing it wrong, or your cartridges are used up. It should be odor free while you're breathing through the mask.<br /><br />If you were using epoxy resin, much less critical. Epoxy releases little or no VOC's, so unless you're doing this in an enclosed tight room, you would be fine without a respirator.