Pedestal Base Removal Help

99Cane228

Cadet
So here is the problem: wanting to replace my existing pedestal with a height adjustable one, and I cannot get the existing bases screws out. Form reading here, I believe they ate bolts with toggles. They are just spinning. How do I get them out? The new base is a larger diameter.

Thanks for your help in advance.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pedestal Base Removal Help

Just one of the reasons toggles are a bad choice.

Spray with WD40 or Liquid Wrench and let set over night. Then wedge between pedestal base and deck to apply pressure on the toggle wing to prevent slipping and remove bolt.

Is this a fiberglass or aluminum boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Pics will help us to help you. Do you have Carpet? You may have to use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade and cut em off under the base.

99Cane228

Cadet

Sorry, it is a Hurricane Deck boat and fiberglass, no carpet. Does drilling then out make any sense? At the end of the day, I am guessing that the pieces are going to fall below, there is no way I can see to access them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you can drill em out yes. But I suspect they'll just spin.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

But I suspect they'll just spin.

I also have that suspicion unless a wooden wedge is driven between the base and deck to immobilize them.

How do you plan to install the new bases?

99Cane228

Cadet

Good point on them spinning! My original plan for installing the new was just ss screw with sealant, but that is how I thought the existing one was. The existing is a 10" base, installing 12". If they are toggles now, I am concerned about weakening the area, probably 1/2" holes for the toggles there now?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try the wedge and drill. If that doesn't work then sawzall to cut em. To mount the new ones, I build a base like this...
seatpedestal.jpg

and use stainles T-Nuts on the bottom and stanless bolts on the pedestal.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

At least 1/2" holes, maybe 5/8".

Depending on how long those bases have been installed like that and how your boat has been kept, you may have some water intrusion damage around those holes weakening the decking even further. Examine your deck under the bases after you get them removed to ensure a solid installation of the new bases.

99Cane228

Cadet

Thanks for all the great help and advise. I will give her another go tomorrow! Although, based on my well know patience level, a sledge hammer may not be to far from reality, just saying.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Although, based on my well know patience level, a sledge hammer may not be to far from reality, just saying.

LMAO!!!

A sledge hammer and an oxy/acetelene torch and you'll be good to go!:laugh:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Or...Like My old uncle used to say, "If you can't Duct tape it, Masking tape it or Baling Wire it, then throw it away, it can't be fixed."