Jvjennings

Recruit
I am wanting to tear out all old carpet and plywood on my
1987 Ranger Cherokee but was wandering what is under
the plywood before I start?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help with Ranger Cherokee

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Let's move this down to the Drydock for ya,...

I'm working from the assumption that there's a reason you want to take out the deck in your boat, and that that reason would have something to do with the deck being soft/rotten. When you remove a rotten deck more than likely you're going to find rotten stringers (and if your boat is under 21 ft. there will probably be wet/waterlogged flotation foam). And more times than not when you have all of that going on there's also a rotten transom as well, or at least one that's soaking wet and is gonna' be rotten before too long.

Jvjennings

Recruit
First Post Help with Ranger Cherokee

First Post Help with Ranger Cherokee

Wanting to tear out old carpet and plywood in my
1987 Ranger Cherokee. What is under the plywood?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First Post Help with Ranger Cherokee

Under the plywood is more wood. If the floor is bad the stringers probably are also... maybe the transom too.

Jvjennings

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Nothing wrong with the deck. It's just that the carpet is all
rotton and I am wanting to take some of the deck off to lighten up the boat. The
boat s covered with 3/4 plywood and I don't need that much deck space. Just wanted
to take part of it out so the boat will be a little lighter and give more open space then I
was going to put new carpet back, but didn't know what I would be getting into.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Umm, let's back up a step or 2.

A pix would be great, but this is an '87 Ranger Cherokee ALUMINUM boat, correct?

jbcurt00

Staff member

A pix would be great, but this is an '87 Ranger Cherokee ALUMINUM boat, correct?
Posted in your other thread:
Help with Ranger Cherokee

Let's start w/ that

I suspect it's an aluminum boat, but I didn't see a 1987 Ranger Cherokee listed:
Ranger (California)
Ranger (WA)
Ranger Boats (AR)
Ranger Boats (WA)

In fact, the 3rd 1 down was the only Ranger that lists any 1987 boats.

jestor68

Commander

Something like this? ranger-cherokee-bass-fishing-boat_5204814.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

No. In front of me is Ranger Catalog # 787 which is their 1987 catalog one would assume. I also have a catalog #099. If it is a 1999 catalog, a lot of older 87 vintage engine show up in it like they do in the 787. In both they used wood in the deck covers, the deck, the transom, and the stringers. All of it was glass encased and since Forrest (Wood) started and owned the company, he did it right. I had a 1989 Ranger Fisherman. Superb boat and excellent craftsmanship.

In the lineup for the 787 catalog are no Cherokee boats. Only Commanche which was their top of the line model, and the Fisherman series for the Walleye crowd which is the model I bought. It's a bass boat padded hull with a walleye layout. In the 099 catalog is an additional model the Apache which is a lower cost version of the Commanche without some of the whistles and bells.

Currently they use all fiberglass/synthetic honeycomb for transoms, stringers, decks, and all that. I do not know when the changeover occurred nor was it across the board or gradual.

I do recollect seeing the Cherokee model somewhere but I can't help you with it. As I recall, like the Apache, it was a lower priced boat with fewer amenities for the guy that wanted a new boat and was dollar limited. An example is the Ranger ID stripes on the side. On the Commanche you could get it in 3 colors with multi colors for the hull and deck. On the Apache, you got one color stripe. They advertise that the Apache is functionally modeled from customer feedback and you get all the performance you get with the Commanche.

HTH,
Mark

jbcurt00

Staff member

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

It should be the aluminum hull built by Crestliner when Genmar owned both Ranger and Crestliner,..

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

In the 80's Lund made a fiberglass model called "Cherokee",..............

Zacharyrt

Recruit
Do you have to replace the glass encased stringers if the wood rots

Attachments

• photo325160.jpg
    photo325160.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.