1976 Hydra-sport Bass Boat hull refinishing

Black Max

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was partially finished this project three years ago, once I got it in the water I just wanted to go fishing and put all projects on the boat in the can. Now I'm finally trying to continue where I left off. I want to try and bring the original luster to the existing gel coat on the hull. Under the boat it looks so shiny and pretty, but do to the 29 years with the sun the sides have lost any sign of luster. The hull is white gel coated, with a few spots that look like someone had sprayed some krylon spray paint. (Should this work: Sand with an orbital sander until I achieve a uniform coloration throughout the hull. Then wet sand to achieve smooth surface. Next buff with some form of polishing paste.(what ever yall recommend). Then hit with a good coat of wax,(whatever recommended.) There is a little cracking around the top 2 inches or so right beneath the topside, but its due to the gelcoat being sprayed over the mettalic gelcoat thats incorporated into the accent stripe on the side, just want to get most of the side of the hull looking decent. Last question how do i make sure that I don't sand two deep into the gel-coat when sanding, whats a good guideline to follow. Tell me what yall, think even though my post may sound kind of choppy. Thanks to all!!!

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 Hydra-sport Bass Boat hull refinishing

That spray paint look is fiberglass,sounds to me its time for painting!

Black Max

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No it's definately not fiberglass, the previous owner told me that he tried spray painting a portion of the hull with flat white spray paint to try and get rid of the waterline stains. Would like to avoid painting if at all possible.

sawill

Recruit

i have an 1985 vl-270-sx hydra-sport, it's going thru stringer repair,floor repair and front fishing deck redesign, and finishing with the same as u, gloss repair. have read that wet sanding with 600-1000 grit (and watching for the metal flake not to change colorwhile doing this)to smooth finish. that i then should be able to compound to a shiny finish. also have read that if the flake is coming out that the wet sand would allow me to re-paint with a urethane. others on other forums say re-gell coating is one of the worst experiances and that 2k urethanes do a great job. good luck and hope to share any good ideas with you as we go.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Spray paint?OK,try as sawill said,wet sand a spot,then compound it,then wax.Gelcoat is less then 1/16" so don't sand it to much!

Black Max

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sawill I thought of redoing my front deck also to make the front compartment lid 100% flush similiar to modern day bass boats. The current compartment covers are fiberglass covers that have a little square of carpet in the middle that sits over the compartment more like a hatch than a cover. Found and old Ranger bass boat behind the discarded behing the Mississippi River levee that I will try to incorporate into my front deck to modernize it a bit. As for the spray paint on the hull, the previous owner was a real goof when it came to trying to restore this old classic. Might name my boat OUTA STYLE

Black Max

Petty Officer 3rd Class

3m marine compound and wax should be good? I'll give it a try this weekend.

skyboy2410

Seaman Apprentice

Does the 3M fiberglass restoration product work. Thanks Steve