Sears 14ft Gamefisher fiberglass patching

I was given a sears gamefisher boat for free by my neighbor. the boat needs some glass work and im not familiar with working with the stuff. i would really like to try to fix it and it would give me some experience working with the stuff. If i scew it up im not really out anything. iv been briefly going through some threads and seen there are a lot of people on here that know what they are talking about. any tips or advice would be great.

Re: Sears 14ft Gamefisher fiberglass patching

I just got the boat today and haven't started anything. Tomorrow i plan on sanding everything down and getting the seats off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats Shooter!!!

Get a Free Photobucket account and post up some pics so we can see what you're workin on. Make's it a lot easier to help you with it. Those old Gamefishers make a nice fishin boat once you get em set up right. We'll be here for you all during the restoration.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

cant seem to get the pictures on here the way i want to but as for now here are a few

4f9567eb-101e-4f77-a4ce-ca45d723fd17_zpsede48330.jpg

so I think I'm going to fix the soft spot and take it to a small lake and make sure it floats and i don't find any surprises before i paint the whole boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like I said before, use Photobucket to post your pics. I works Great! Where is this soft spot you speak of?

Last picture. Front bottom middle point. I have photo bucket and did everything the video said but when I put the direct link in the insert pic URL that's what I get. If you click on the pic. It gets bigger. Any suggestions?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Use the IMG Code and Copy and Paste it into your thread.

IMGCode.jpg

What's your plan for fixing that spot?

OK I'll try that. I'm really new to this but I was planning on start sanding or grinding till I get to solid fiberglass . It kinda depends how bad it is. From other threads I don't just wanna cut a big hole where it is. I thought that would be a good starting point.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, grind it down so you see better and know what you're dealing with.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

If you can get the pictures up here, the experts will advise you on the repair and exactly how to do it. It will be worth the effort to get this advice IMO. Usually repairs like this require access to the inside, that's where you will do most of your grinding and glass work to ensure it will seal well, the outside will require some grinding/glass work work too. The picture looks like the keel of the boat up front?

The thing I'm mostly debating on is where the area I'm going to be fixing is under the front seat. Do I have to remove the whole front part or just cut a hole big enough to get access to glass it? I'm hoping if I cut a whole in that front bench where the seat is at that it will still support a person sitting on that front seat. I'm on my phone at work so hopefully I can get better pictures when I get home.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you got it figured out!

Last edited:

yes thank you Woodonglass. well i started to get make some progress. i had to get my respirator from work and order the filters for the fiberlass and chemicals i will be using. So i started to grind and sand. I hit solid fiberglass and i think i just nee to sand off the paint around the hole.If anyone has any advice on what i did and what i should do from here would be great. Also i need to start looking for fiberglass and epoxy. if anyone knows what kind and what grade of glass and epoxy let me know please. thanks