Marine Tex & fiverglass mat

superbenk

Commander
Is it possible to use Marine Tex with fiberglass mat to make sturdier patches & repairs? Probably a silly idea and more money than its worth, but I thought it might make for easier repairs of damage that's too big for straight Marine Tex but too small to want to get into a full blown fiberglass repair. The pasty Marine Tex seems like it'd be easier to work with than gooey, sticky resin.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Marine Tex & fiverglass mat

Is it possible to use Marine Tex with fiberglass mat to make sturdier patches & repairs? Probably a silly idea and more money than its worth, but I thought it might make for easier repairs of damage that's too big for straight Marine Tex but too small to want to get into a full blown fiberglass repair. The pasty Marine Tex seems like it'd be easier to work with than gooey, sticky resin.

Ayuh,.... No doubt, Stupid expensive, but ya it'll work,....

Just like mixin' yer own resin, 'n fillers,...

superbenk

Commander

Stupid expensive means its better, right? :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

PC-11 and Marine Tex are similar products. When I was in the pool business I use Fiberglass cloth/fabric and PC-11 for patches all the time. Works great for small quick patches especially Underwater! I see no need to use it in area where you can use normal resin and glass.

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello superbenk ..

I would suggest at this point that you contact Marine Tex Support for your question/answer.

I dont think anyone on the forums can suggest a Proper way of adding any type of filler or glass to a product that is in use to the general public with its own standards and application data ( which you can find online ).

I would say NO. Dont Do it unless you have specific guide lines from the Manufacture of Any product.

So No ! .. you cant do it unless MT said you can. I dont think these products are made without specific application data ..

Follow the data.

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey SB,

I Went to the MT site and...

"Marine-Tex is a creamy paste consistency that can be applied on vertical or horizontal surfaces, easily fills gaps, and can be shaped to rebuild damaged components. Marine-Tex paste provides waterproof repairs that can be used with fiberglass tape or cloth to bridge holes and reinforce structural repairs as needed. "

so it appears it is like PC-11 and can be used with Glass Cloth and tape.