1977 Skipjack Repower and restoration

Allsvns

Recruit
I have a 1977 Skipjack 24 Cuddy powered by a 351 Ford. 280 outdrive with the "spinning pin wheel" drive. Not sure of the correct name.

Boat runs. Still uses seawater to cool, which I where I use it most.

Questions:

If I was to repower the boat and put a new outdrive on it, which is the best option to go with? (Gasoline engine)

Second question. The exterior is starting to crack around the upper platforms, cabin roof and cockpit exterior....solution?

Thanks

NorCal Allsvsn

zool

Captain
Re: 1977 Skipjack Repower and restoration

Welcome to drydock Alls...

Unless you are planning to replace the transom, you are kinda limited to the Volvo drives up to, but IIRC, not including the SX series because the cutout for the drive is larger then the current standardized keyhole. The 280 you have is in the AQ series, and a very user friendly system. The aq290 sp and dp drives started incorporating the hydraulic trim/tilt system, and are bullet proof. So that would be a reasonable and cost effective upgrade, and rebuilding the Ford.

besides the cutout size, I believe the newer drives have inner transom shield assemblies, requiring precision transom width parallelism for proper engine alignment and seal. Your current drive system doesnt require those transom tolerances, and alignment is a simple 3 point measurement.

Pics of the cracking wil help the glass guys here guide you...

Allsvns

Recruit
Re: 1977 Skipjack Repower and restoration

Thanks for the response.

I'll take a pic of the cracks and post them.

I emailed skipjack and they recommended I go diesel. 200 HP. I know my initial post said "gas", but now I am re-thinking that. NO idea on what type of diesel motor I would go with.

The 351 has been rebuilt twice. It's carburated and if I did a gas replacement, I'd like to go with an EFI motor that is fresh water cooled....completely.

Anyhow thanks for the feedback and and future insight.

Norcal Allsvsn