Replacing Steering Wheel - Uflex Steering System

BlueManatee

Recruit
I'm trying to replace the thermoplastic steering wheel on our 1975 Manatee runaboout with a Schmitt destroyer style wheel. The system is a Uflex system. Unfortunately, the existing wheel won't budge - at least not more than about 1/8 inch.

Tried methods suggested in this forum and elsewhere - PB Blaster, WD40, pulll with plenty of force while striking nut with hammer, but it seems like there is something else keeping the wheel from releasing from the shaft. The wheel and shaft are both corrosion-free (even before the PB Blaster/WD40). Haven't tried a wheel puller (don't have one), but don't think it's a lack of pulling force.

Is there something else that I'm not thinking of? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing Steering Wheel - Uflex Steering System

If you have a harbour freight near by they sell pulers quite cheap

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Tried and true method that has worked for me countless times...
Insure that all hardware/fasteners/clips that might be holding the steering wheel to the shaft are removed...
Place the retaining nut on just enough to keep the wheel from flying at you when it comes loose...
Grab the wheel alternately at 9 & 3 o'clock, then at 12 & 6 o'clock...
Brace your self to pull on it...
Pull alternately with each hand, first left then right at 9 & 3, repeat at 12 & 6...
Just a firm, gentle pull each time, NOT a HULK yank...do this three or four times each way, after about a minute or less, it should pop right off...it is a technique...
If all else fails, then get a steering wheel puller...I have one and it is almost 40 years old and has never been used...:rolleyes:...to pull a steering wheel that is...;)

Last edited:

BlueManatee

Recruit

Thanks, guys -- will try GT's suggested technique, and will head to Harbor Freight for a puller if I still can't get that sucker loose. It's hard to tell whether there are any hidden fasteners or clips that are holding the wheel to the shaft, but I don't see anything obvious. Anything in particular that I need to look for?

Will try to post a pic of the new wheel once we get it installed -- in the meantime, here's one of us underway.

Attachments

• BlueManatee.jpg
    BlueManatee.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

they rarely come-off easy...just the nut and lots of static friction holding that bad boy on to a tapered shaft.

If GT's TnT method doesn't work for you and end-up going the puller route ....but you don't have anything to attach the puller bolts to... I've had luck wrapping chain around the hub (behind the spokes) and threading the outer puller bolts through links... secured with a nut and a large washer.