transom and stringer repair

Re: transom and stringer repair

oh no it's been over 90 days ? no no no lets get this thread active again ? it's been a long cold winter but I'm still thinking about the project . I'm going to buy aruca plywood 5/8 to start the transom , 1 sheet 4x8 cut 3 times should do the trick and I piced up a phiber classing kit at wall-mart just to get me started . we'll se and i'll be back

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The fiberglass kit at Walmart is NOT what you want to use.

oh no has the winter been that bad on my brain to ? oh well I didn't read the can but I thought fiber glass was fiber glass ? wouldn't it be good for any of my repairs ? hay thanks for reading my post and letting me know.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

To do what you need to do you'll need a minimum of 3 gallons of the stuff, you'll need to do all of the glass installations wet on wet since the resin has wax in it. If it dries before the next layer of glass goes down you must sand and wipe it down with acetone in order to get a good bond and even then it can have issues. The mat they sell is only .75 oz Chopped strand mat and the fabric is usually about 6oz. You need 1.5.oz and you'll need about 6 yards. They usually sell one yard or less. Their prices are almost double of what you'd pay from a Marine supplier.

omg thats right lol , wow I really have to catch up on my notes ! , thanks woodonglass ,I thught I found a cheap way out not create more work .

thanks again for replying to my post and giving me a slap on the back of the head ,

anyone need some auto fiber glass kit