1972 Fiberform tri-hull restoration

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys

I've lurked on the forums for some time now and so I've decided to post my restoration project.

I've had this boat for about a year, my friend gave this boat to me he told me "you take it or I am taking it to the landfill" so I figure, "free boat" I rebuilt the engine last July its a Buick 225.

Now I've finally gotten around to working on the hull, I took the cap off this past Monday a couple buddies where nice enough to stop by and give me a hand. I'm currently working on clearing the hull out.

The stringers had delaminated from the hull (surprisingly the stringers had not rotted) and the floor was rotten and the flotation foam was water logged bow to stern, so I cleared all the foam out tonight and ground down most of the old fiber glass on the right side.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the grinding down the left side and cutting and dry fitting the stringers.

The Transom is rotten and all the upholstery is junk, how ever the upholstery foam is salvageable with some repair and steaming.

Well I will continue to keep you guys updated.

thanks for checking it out
-WillIMAG1118.jpgDSC02563.JPGDSC02565.JPG

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1972 Fiberform tri-hull restoration

Well I haven't updated this for a while, last October I got the transom installed and tabbed into the boat, Then my extended family took over the shop for a couple months. I just got started on the boat again, I cut and fit the stringers, and I am tabbing them in now.

WP_000171.jpg
WP_000179.jpg
WP_000181.jpg

Last edited:

rfnbry

Cadet

Howdy Y'all. I have been reading these post with in here and I have now have a project in head of me. I have a 1987 ( i believe) Tri Hull 14" Coho P-134. I got it from this guy in a trade. At first I thought it was a fantastic idea. This being my first boat, I was excited to just have one. Any way. I decided to put it in the Puget Sound one morning with a incoming tide and 2-3' swells. Not the best idea I have ever had. Needless to say judging by the pictures attached, the waves over took my boat and I sat helplessly for the next 4 1/2 hours watching the waves smash into the boat filling it with salt water, rocks, wood and small shell fish. Well it took me about 2-3 months but I completely dried her out (so I thought), re wired her, completely re did the motor and re fiberglassed some nicks and holes left in the hull by the waves smashing her up onto the rocks. Well the next trip out was in a lake out here. It was good to go. So I decided to enter into a Salmon Derby again in the Puget Sound. This is where it gets real bad. The first 2 hours of trolling with the Down riggers went well. Decided to head back ( roughly 3 miles) across the Sound and the waves were reaching 6-8 feet. The end soon cam. One big wave lifted my bow straight up into the air and slammed me down Arse first. Another 5-7 wave comes from behind and completely devours my boat in water. 5 seconds later, the boat capsizes. We were left to get on what was left sticking out of the drink and signal for help the best we could. Unfortunately the boat was left that way tied to a doc only accessible by another boat on this Island. 3 weeks later I was able to go out and get it and thankfully the Island Police had it lifted and drained for me by the time I got there. Sooo, with that being said. I am completely gutting the boat. Everything has come off, and now I am cutting into the fiberglass to expose the floor and transom. I am expecting the worse. Replacing the foam, stringers, floor, wiring, everything. Like I said I have been doing as much research and reading as possible. I have been taking notes and learning from most on here. Any and all advise would be helpful.

/Users/kellyrifenbury/Downloads/20131223_074002.jpg
/Users/kellyrifenbury/Pictures/1415107_423568094443708_741691369_o.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

I cut and fit the stringers, and I am tabbing them in now.
What did you bed the stringers w/? Looks like PL:
attachment.php

If you used PL, it needs 72hrs to cure & off gas properly (perhaps longer) before proceeding w/ any glass work, fillets or tabbing.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Any and all advise would be helpful.
Start a thread about YOUR project & post up there.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate 'adventures', but some adventures definitely aren't worth you or your family/friends lives.

Boat & boat resto safely.

BTW: your pix didn't attach, but post them in YOUR thread. Posting the tale here in Willy's thread is considered a hi-jack. The air marshalls also get jumpy if you use the word B O M B, so try to avoid that too....

All the same, welcome to iboats rfn, start a rebuild thread....

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Howdy Y'all. I have been reading these post with in here and I have now have a project in head of me. I have a 1987 ( i believe) Tri Hull 14" Coho P-134. I got it from this guy in a trade. At first I thought it was a fantastic idea. This being my first boat, I was excited to just have one. Any way. I decided to put it in the Puget Sound one morning with a incoming tide and 2-3' swells. Not the best idea I have ever had. Needless to say judging by the pictures attached, the waves over took my boat and I sat helplessly for the next 4 1/2 hours watching the waves smash into the boat filling it with salt water, rocks, wood and small shell fish. Well it took me about 2-3 months but I completely dried her out (so I thought), re wired her, completely re did the motor and re fiberglassed some nicks and holes left in the hull by the waves smashing her up onto the rocks. Well the next trip out was in a lake out here. It was good to go. So I decided to enter into a Salmon Derby again in the Puget Sound. This is where it gets real bad. The first 2 hours of trolling with the Down riggers went well. Decided to head back ( roughly 3 miles) across the Sound and the waves were reaching 6-8 feet. The end soon cam. One big wave lifted my bow straight up into the air and slammed me down Arse first. Another 5-7 wave comes from behind and completely devours my boat in water. 5 seconds later, the boat capsizes. We were left to get on what was left sticking out of the drink and signal for help the best we could. Unfortunately the boat was left that way tied to a doc only accessible by another boat on this Island. 3 weeks later I was able to go out and get it and thankfully the Island Police had it lifted and drained for me by the time I got there. Sooo, with that being said. I am completely gutting the boat. Everything has come off, and now I am cutting into the fiberglass to expose the floor and transom. I am expecting the worse. Replacing the foam, stringers, floor, wiring, everything. Like I said I have been doing as much research and reading as possible. I have been taking notes and learning from most on here. Any and all advise would be helpful.

/Users/kellyrifenbury/Downloads/20131223_074002.jpg
/Users/kellyrifenbury/Pictures/1415107_423568094443708_741691369_o.jpg

Welcome to iBoats!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
You should start your own Thread so the members can follow along and post comments to it and not get confused by having it in somone elses. Your pics did not post. Best way to post pics is to open a Free Photobucket account and then use the IMG Code to copy and paste them to you iBoats post.

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah it was pl, I bedded them last week. Started tabbing yesterday.

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice

wow sounds scary! Isn't Puget sound a river delta and a pretty technical area? You know there is a wooden boat school in port townsend washington if its close to you, you could learn so a bunch just a thought.

WillyS86

Seaman Apprentice

What thickness of plywood should I use for the deck? The previous owner cut the deck out