Beachcraft wood and glass restoration

rutanfam

Recruit
I bought a 1981 beachcraft 19 foot. V6 3.8liter OMC I/O. Motor is nice, but motor mounts had collapsed on previous owner.
I had the motor hoisted and placed on the deck of the boat. Cut the glass off of the motor mounts and found ver nice garden compost inside. I think there used to be 4x4s. Stringer were apparently plywood but are gone from at least the very back part of the hull. Bottom 8inches of the transom was mulch. The more I though about it the more I realized this would be a full boat restoration if I wanted it done right. I'm a teacher so I have the time this summer. Money is the big issue.

Here are my questions for everyone;
How do I get the engine out and into my garage. Garage roof is not tall or strong enough. Using a tree branch or a frame would leave the motor outside. Having a shop hoist it would leave it in my truck bed.
Second once I cut and grind out all existing wood and glass, what materials besides marine grade lumber do I use to glass it all back in. Any specific types of resin, glass mat, filler, epoxy, etc? Can I get the stuff from Home Depot or does it have to be marine specific?
Finally is there any possible way I can restore the back end (including the transom) then replace motor and then restore the rest of the deck? That's would make my life much easier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Beachcraft wood and glass restoration

Welcome to iboats....you are at the right place for your boating needs.

Look in the adult only section at the top of this forum....it will have all your answers. If you decide to move forward then keep this thread going...by posting pictures/questions and all the experts will guide you along the way.

Good Luck!

rutanfam

Recruit

I'm about to start removing everything and I have another question. I know there are a ton of threads about this topic, I'm not sure how to find specific answers in a timely manner.
My question: I was told that the deck of this boat had been replaced (not stringers). There is no foam under the deck. Where can I find something to show me what the original stringer and foam should look like?

I would truly appreciate even a little guidance to help me make sure I do this right.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Pics of your boat will help us to help you. Building a Gantry to remove the motor is not that hard to do. Building a motor and outdrive stand with wheels is also easy to do. The old OMC motors and outdrives are obsolete and parts are becoming harder to locate, but if she's a good runner then that's good. Once the Deck has been removed the stringer layout should be fairly obvious. Foam installation is very straight forward and we can guide you on that too! I've attached some helpful info for you to get started.

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

Gantry-1.jpg

(Click the icon below to view the PDF file)

View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

rickryder

Commander

Post some pics of your set up.... Would like to see how the boat sits on the trailer and what type trailer it is...You will most likely be pulling the cap and doing a complete reso on the structure of the boat. You will need to make sure the hull does not sag or flex out of shape...If it does and you glass it like that it will stay that way making it impossible to install the cap back on.