1964 Elgin 62150 Restoration

psdnakita

Cadet
I'm a new/old boat owner. I haven't been around boats for over 20 years. anyways enough about me. i need some help please. just got a 1964 Elgin 62150 for 250.00 yes that price is right. an older person owned it sit for long time and his son told him to sale it or it might just come up missing someday. i haven't had plans to buy a boat but couldn't past it up. looks a lot wost then it really is but it just needs very little engine work as engine spins and new seats. the main part I would like to find and maybe someone here can point me the right way.I'm in need of the windshield and windshield assembly. i hope someone can please help me. boat tags 001.jpgboat tags 005.jpgboat pictures 003.jpgboat pictures 005.jpgboat tags 007.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1964 Elgin 62150 Restoration

You will probably need to find a windshield on craigslist & make it work on you boat.

Maybe find a derelict boat w/ a windshield that will 'fit' and either buy just the windshield, or the whole rig & strip it of everything you can: Motor, trailer, seats, etc... Then scrap the boat & sell whatever you don't want/need/use.

You can make your own, even w/ out a busted/damaged existing windshield to use as a template.

There are a couple DIY windshield (frame too) threads @iboats, use the advanced search feature from the forum homepage. There are other sites that also have good tutorials for them too.

I doubt there are any boat salvage yards nearby in Wyoming, but 'regular' junk & scrap (recycling) yards do occasionally get boats too.

You can try some of these places:
Salvage Yards, by Wilde1

There are places that will make you a new windshield (frame too, maybe) but they will probably run you at least twice what you paid for the entire rig, plus about what you paid for the rig, for shipping.

Welcome to iboats

Looks like it could be a nice runabout, but based on the interior condition in the pix you posted:
attachment.php

There is likely a fair amount of demo pending....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DryDock2.jpg

I would LOVE to have that Bench Seat Bracket for my Blue Flamingo!!! IF you ever want to part with it...I'm your MAN!!!! :D

Make sure and do a thorough inspection of your transom. Jump up and down on the leg of the outboard and see if the transom has any flex at all. Even a little bit and it will need to be replaced. Any soft spots in the floor? Windshield for these old girls are really hard to come by. A lot of guys end up making their own. You can even fabricate the frame. Here's a link for a how to...Making a boat windshield

We'll be here to help anyway we can!;)

WelcomeAboard.jpg

psdnakita

Cadet

i don't know about soft spots in floor will check that today. ok i'm going to sound stupid but what is the transom? i hope don't get into too much of mess. i'm over hyper about owning my first boat hope it doesn't turn the other way and end up being a mistake

jbcurt00

Staff member

Transom is where the motor mounts on the stern

It's a plywood core covered by fiberglass, poly resin & gelcoat, probably on both sides.

Generally the 'floor' is a deck, the upper portion of the hull, the light blue, is the cap, the white lower half is the hull, the rubrail is the metal trim w rubber/vinyl insert between the hull & cap, the rubrail is mounted to the gunwale or gunnel.

psdnakita

Cadet

thanks i hope i didn't make a mistake getting this boat as my first boat. outside hull seems solid and 60hp engine isn't locked up i know this much

Transom is where the motor mounts on the stern

It's a plywood core covered by fiberglass, poly resin & gelcoat, probably on both sides.

Generally the 'floor' is a deck, the upper portion of the hull, the light blue, is the cap, the white lower half is the hull, the rubrail is the metal trim w rubber/vinyl insert between the hull & cap, the rubrail is mounted to the gunwale or gunnel.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Those old evinrudes are Good Old motors. Parts are Still readily available. Even if you have to replace all the seals and do carbs etc. it'll only be a couple hundred bucks. It's a manual shift so that's good. We can help you with the restoration if you have the desire and willingness to do the work.

psdnakita

Cadet

looks like i might have to give in next week and special order a windshield. the only question i have right now is what was the normal height measurements of this windshield when they came out?

jbcurt00

Staff member

You may have some work to do before you order an expensive new windshield that may need to sit around the garage for a bit while you work on the boat.

The time spent working on the boat may allow you to find a decent replacement w/s &/or donor boat.

psdnakita

Cadet

Found a windshield with all mounting hardware took me long enough. 75.00 plus all shipping. Shipping killed me at 180.00

psdnakita

Cadet

I'm ending up sale this boat because i got a huge ski boat and only have so much room. just pick up 17 foot ski boat for 1400.00. had to see this other boat go. got a price of 300.00 on it with the 60hp engine and new winch and new bow eye on it. plus carb kit and new fuel pump coming with it too bad i'm having hard time sale it