99 Super Hawk. Repair, Transform, Rig

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I've found that removing old adhesive with a stripping chemical and scraping it off works best for me, after scraping I use a wire cup brush in a grinder to remove any residue.

Frayed_Knot

Seaman Apprentice
Wow, removing the old carpet glue from this back aluminum panel sucks! The grinder melts it and slings it everywhere. I've resorted to using my dremmel with a scraper blade. Anyone got any tips on how to make this go easier?

FishrDan suggested to me trying a lacquer thinner soaked paper towel. It worked really well. Just soak the towel, slap it onto the panel and let it sit for a 5-10 minutes. Come back across with a rag after the glue has soaked a while and wipe it off. Previously I had tried just rubbing it with thinner and it didn't work but if you let it soak under a towel for a bit so the glue breaks down it should wipe right off. It worked pretty well for me ... unfortunately I had already spent three days grinding the glue off 95% of my hull before I read that suggestion.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the suggestions Jig and Frayed Knot. Will be Sunday evening before I can get back to it, but I'll try the lacquer Thinner first because I have some. I'll keep you updated!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Holy smokes, Steve...
You have really made some amazing progress since the last time I checked in...
Looking really good...
I would make a suggestion...since foam does have a tendency to become a sponge, I was thinking that anyplace your foam may come in contact with water flowing past it, it might not be a bad insurance policy to get some inexpensive oil based paint and slap a couple of coats on to seal the exposed surface of the foam...before covering everything up with your new deck.
Keep up the great progress and you be enjoying this boat in no time.
Gus

83mulligan

Holy smokes, Steve... You have really made some amazing progress since the last time I checked in... Looking really good... I would make a suggestion...since foam does have a tendency to become a sponge, I was thinking that anyplace your foam may come in contact with water flowing past it, it might not be a bad insurance policy to get some inexpensive oil based paint and slap a couple of coats on to seal the exposed surface of the foam...before covering everything up with your new deck. Keep up the great progress and you be enjoying this boat in no time. Gus
GT, thanks! She is coming along. Took your advice and laid some oil based paint along the side panels and on every piece of foam that I cut or shaved. One more coat tomorrow morning and then I can drop the deck in if the vinyl work goes well tonight.

83mulligan

More Progress Pics.............

I painted my foam that had been cut or was a high water flow area with an oil based paint. Even got my 6 year old boy to help me with that..........

Next it was time to lay out my vinyl and deck boards in the garage. I taped the vinyl to the floor (plastic covered) so that I could lay the board on the vinyl after the adhesive was applied. I didn't have any help so I figured this was my best chance to get it right on first try. I loaded up the vinyl and boards with two coats each of weldwood contact cement. This stuff is absolutely evil in terms of vapor. I had a dayton blower going and wore my respirator with new cartridges. When it tacked up I dropped the boards on the vinyl very carefully and then rolled out any bubbles with a J roller.. I rolled and rolled and rolled because Jigngrub said to roll the ***** out of it and I couldn't possibly roll it too much. I didn't wrap the edges until the next day

83mulligan

Here are a couple shots of the smaller deck board completed. I still need to wrap the larger one and hatch cover..............

83mulligan

Well, I'm very pleased with how the decks and hatch turned out. I need to get them mounted in the boat tonight, but the Nautalex adhered very well with no bubbles. Time will tell, I suppose, but right now it looks great on the garage floor!

83mulligan

Got the floor riveted in and then headed up north and fished the boat hard on lake huron for a couple days. Will post some pics of the deck later tonight. I'm pleased with it and it seems to be holding up real well.

83mulligan

Here are some pictures of the finished main deck. It has not lifted anywhere after a few hard days of fishing, plenty of rain and over 600 miles on the trailer and it is super easy to clean. The problem I have now is I want to use it in a lot more places, lol. Special thanks to Jigngrub, whose advice and techniques I followed closely after pestering him with a bunch of questions

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
:thumb:Vinyl looks good! You're going to love that stuff.:thumb:

83mulligan

Thank you, Jig! Btw, that vinyl on the back platform is not my work and is not nautalex. I will be doing something different there.

Last edited:

83mulligan

I made a lot of progress on the boat last year. Time to revitalize this thread and start planning what to do this spring. Looking forward to improving function and looks. She has a ways to go. My goal this year is to get a lot done earlier in the spring so I can enjoy hammering walleyes on saginaw bay with friends and family.

83mulligan

I'm going to be building 6 to 8 hatch covers. What have you guys found to be the best value in both locking and non locking hatch pulls?

83mulligan

I'm going to be building 6 to 8 hatch covers. What have you guys found to be the best value in both locking and non locking hatch pulls?

Some of you guys must have ordered these things for your projects. What's your opininion? I want to be able to lock several of the compartments. Can you get all the locks keyed the same somewhere? Anyone found any good deals on this kinda stuff?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Look at the iboats store here first, if you don't see anything you like try a google search for competitive pricing..

Last edited:

83mulligan

Look at the iboats store here first, if you don't see anything you like try a google search for competitive pricing..

Thanks Jig, I've done those things. I was hoping someone here knew of a great deal somewhere. Also, I don't want to buy a bunch with different sets of keys.

83mulligan

I'm also looking for a good design (out of wood) for a bench seat with back where the seat flips up for storage inside. If anyone can point me to a thread where someone has done that I would appreciate it.

83mulligan

Getting the boat out of winter storage and bringing her home Saturday. Let the projects begin, WOOT!