99 Super Hawk. Repair, Transform, Rig

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey all, been a couple years since I've been on here. I had been working on a Slickcraft 206 and i'm sorry to say, I burned out on that project and got rid of the boat. It was too big a boat for where I'm at in life with a couple young boys and a garage not big enough to house it. Was a great learning experience getting into the hull as far as I did, part of me wishes I'd have finished what I set out to do, part of me is glad its gone, haha. After 4 years of being off the water I picked up another boat. Not nearly the issues of the old Slickcraft. Transom is solid, aluminum stringers and construction (yeah!). So, mostly its a rebuild of the interior how I want it and make it to be for safe and functional for big water fishing and family fun on the inland lakes.

I'll get some pictures up later when I get them onto this computer. Hope to see some of my old buds still hanging out here!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 99 Super Hawk. Repair, Transform, Rig

Welcome back...
We'll be here waiting on those pics...:D
Regards,
GT1M

PS- just started going through your original thread...UGH!:facepalm:...having to rip out the transom is as far as I have gotten...honestly, I may have to leave it at that...:faint2:

Last edited:

83mulligan

Thanks GT1M! Yeah, it was a good learning experience, that last boat. Still working on pics for this boat.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yup, welcome back, and with a non-itchy boat :watermelon:

I rebuilt a 2001 Superhawk that was a theft recovery a couple years ago. All in all the boat was sound and most of the decking was in good condition, except a couple broken areas where it was cut thin. I could have reused most of the decking (CCA treated plywood), but decided to replace it while redesigning the interior.

Good luck with the new rig!

83mulligan

Thanks Fisherdan! Looking forward to designing the interior on this one

83mulligan

Here are some pictures of the Super Hawk and where I am so far

Here is a shot of the bow. I knew the sub floor was rotted when I bought it. They tried to cover it up with a vinyl covered step plate. It was evident when I opened the forward hatch. Plus, the windshield wouldn't close properly because the rotted floor had caused the cockpit console walls to sag and dip.

Pulling the center floor piece with the seat and hatch covers and a little "digging" around revealed how bad it was......

83mulligan

A little prying, pulling, cutting and shop vac work and the rotten floor is gone. I just don't understand why boat builders don't allow for hatch compartments to drain.

83mulligan

I'm taking the boat up north this weekend over the holiday. The goal is just to put a few hours on the motor and the kicker motor that I have to make sure they both run and no water is getting into the lower unit of either. I guess that's the grand mystery of buying a used boat....whether you get screwed on the motor or not. I've had the kicker motor, a 2001 Yamaha T8 in my basement for 4 years. I've never used it. Bought it for my last project that didn't get finished. The big motor is a 90 HP 99 Johnson PLEEB, but I have no idea the hours on it or how to find that out.

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks like a nice rig, too bad about the deck rot.

Construction wise, it looks a lot like my 1800, a bit different due to the years. It would probably be best to cover the new sub-deck plywood with marine vinyl so water drains off and doesn't stay soaked like carpet. Thing that sucks about the sub-deck being rotted, everything on top of it needs to be removed, the livewell is a bundle of joy :rolleyes: One thing I'll suggest that I wished I had done to mine, rebuild the bow battery locker bigger so it can fit a pair of batteries for a 24V trolling motor. I cut the locker lid a bit wider and it's a snug fit getting a single group 29 battery in there, but it fits,,,, wished I had hacked apart the aluminum subframe to make the locker bigger when I had it unbuttoned.

I snagged a ton of pics off the internet while rebuilding my boat, to get ideas, here's one of a newer SuperHawk with the bigger battery locker.
0c12_3.JPG

There's a couple pics of my barge in this thread, might give you some different ideas, though mine is an I/O.

83mulligan

Fisherdan, the deck rot got me 800 bucks off the asking price, so I'm good with a little labor to repair it. I agree completely about the battery box. I'm not sure that the aluminum deck structures provide any sort of stability to the hull itself. I think you can do whatever you want with it. Is that right? I mean, it sits on the sub floor and is anchored there by about 8 or 10 screws, which are not anchored into any of the ribs, just the sub floor. The sub floor is anchored to the ribs by 6 screws. I doubt any of it is very important to the safety or function of the boat itself. So, I think it can be modified without any worries.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yup, the aluminum subframe just supports the bow decking and hatch covers. You'll need to see if there is enough space on the sub-deck for dual batteries to sit, but I'm almost positive there was enough room on my 1800.

Something else to look at (before hacking it apart for dual batteries) is a couple of aluminum 1x1 angles going along side the battery box, look for screws in the carpet. They tie into the aluminum subframe and go forward to the vertical bulkhead at the bow, creates an attachment point for the vertical buklhead to the bow decking. Probably need to re-work those, though I don't think it would be a huge deal.

83mulligan

Dan, I'll look for those 1x1 angles you spoke of. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that front box. Definitely, I'd like it to be bigger. Whether its for my anchor, and other stuff or for dual batteries, it just doesn't make sense to me to limit the underdeck storage if I don't have to. Do you happen to have any pictures of what your boat looks like under the back deck? I'd love to know what kind of space is under there for a locker of some sort. I don't mean the raised platform but the actual deck.

83mulligan

Got the back platform off and hung the Yamaha T8 on the back. Was hoping to mount my fuel water separator, but I'm having trouble finding the room and am going to have to think about that some more. Goal for tonight is to get the Yamaha mounted temporarily and plumbed in so I can run it over the weekend. Then I'll get back to making the mounting of the motor more secure and pretty. More pics to follow.

fishrdan

Admiral

Your boat has a bunch of foam up in the gunnels, so I'm not sure if our boats are laid out the same in the back, maybe not since I have an I/O. My boat, the sides of the main deck are all foamed in, the center of the main deck has the fuel tank and the back 2.5' of the center deck is the engine/bilge. I don't have any many pics of the rebuild.... :facepalm:

83mulligan

Well, got the T8 mounted and plumbed and headed up north. We ran the big motor and the little motor. The Yamaha T8 was awesome. After sitting unused for over 5 years it fired and ran without any issues. I was very pleased with it. The Johnson 90 Hp ran ok. Pretty good on the low end, struggled at higher rpm and WOT. I'm guessing a fuel issue, thinking the carb is a little fouled. It would run fine at all speeds, then sometimes it would bog and rev. Checked the gear lube one time. It was water free and looked good. One thing I found was the oil drain plugs had magnets on them and there were some small collections of metal flakes on them. Hoping this is normal. I've never had magnets on my drain plugs.

Also, the boat has a slow leak somewhere. Which means I'll have to tear up the floor and look at all the livewell plumbing for something letting water in. That, or thru hull fittings. I saw no damage to the hull anywhere.

83mulligan

Yamaha T8 Mounting Question: I noticed when running slower (not on plane) that the T8 drags in the water when locked in the up position. I am wondering if I should raise the transom on the side that it is mounted a few inches before making it permanent. It seems like a lot of load on the little motor, or is that a waste of time and its fine to handle that kind of thing? It is clear of the water when up on plane and running.

83mulligan

Guess the next step for me is to take out the forward and aft decks and try and find this leak. I'm betting its the below water thru hull to the forward livewell where the hose attaches to the fitting. This may explain a lot of the rot up in that forward compartment that I found initially. I have an extra bilge pump with a float that I will also be installing as a backup. Not sure if I can plumb this to the existing bilge line or if it needs its own separate thru hole and hose in case of emergency where they both need to run at the same time.

fishrdan

Admiral

I have an extra bilge pump with a float that I will also be installing as a backup. Not sure if I can plumb this to the existing bilge line or if it needs its own separate thru hole and hose in case of emergency where they both need to run at the same time.

Run a second hose and thru-hull fitting for the second bilge pump. Smooth bore hose (like used in the livewells) will flow a lot better than inexpensive corrugated bilge pump hose, but it's spendy.... I fish in pretty snotty conditions, so dual bilge pumps was kind of a no-brainer.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat 83, going to be a really nice rig when you're done.

83mulligan

Fisherdan: Will do on the hose and thru hull.

Budski: thank you. I have a lot of teak to use up that I've collected over the years, so I'm excited about the rebuilding part.