What's best gel coat / paint / Awlgrip?

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Assumptions, work will be done above the waterline. I want to make the blue part of my boat blue again. So what is the best solution?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />BP

18rabbit

Captain
Re: What's best gel coat / paint / Awlgrip?

Paint is a good idea. And you certainly can’t go wrong with Awl Grip. Another good one is Interlux new product called Perfection. Both are two-part paints with similar application technique. You can call Interlux and get their free paint guide. Btw, they are both owned by the same parent company.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree. Any of the systems by the big marine paint manufacturers or Imron if you really want ot open up a world of color choices. The only thing I would warn is whatever manufacturer's system you choose stick to it - don't substitute anything for the thinners, reducers, hardners, cleaners, or whatever else is called for. It may be more expensive but the marginal cost difference will be small compared to the certainty that it is going to hold up.<br /><br />I chose Awl Grip for my boat and am very pleased but I'm sure that any of the 2-part paints would have pleased equally.<br /><br />Thom

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have some Awl Grip for sale - $80 a quart, $226 a gallon.