Question about stainless steel screws

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am getting ready to assemble my boat interior - I always have a problem with stainless steel screws stripping out easily? Is it just me? I buy them from the local hardware, but wondered if I should be looking at a harder steel if such a thing exist.

Thanks for your help

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Question about stainless steel screws

I've used them a bunch, and I have that problem, too. Making sure you have a really good driver bit helps, but they seem to strip out very easily.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

TIP: Pre Drill, Then use a Steel Screw to pre-thread the hole then apply the sealer to the hole with a swab and then onto the Stainless Screw and then drive it home. I think you'll find your stripping will come to an end.

Bondo

Staff member

TIP: Pre Drill, Then use a Steel Screw to pre-thread the hole then apply the sealer to the hole with a swab and then onto the Stainless Screw and then drive it home. I think you'll find your stripping will come to an end.

Ayuh,.... 'n dip yer bit into valve grindin' compound now, 'n then,... liquid sandpaper gives it a Good Grip,...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am getting ready to assemble my boat interior - I always have a problem with stainless steel screws stripping out easily? Is it just me? I buy them from the local hardware, but wondered if I should be looking at a harder steel if such a thing exist.

Thanks for your help

Here is a Tip for the SS screws .. Pilot with the proper bit.

If its too hard to put in by hand on the first screw .. then you have too small of a pilot.

If the screw is getting Very hard to put in .. take it back out and trash that screw and replace with a new one. Dont Ever reuse SS screws .. you might pull the head off !

Once you get your proper pilot your good to go with a screw gun. The impact guns work the best ( with a good quality Tip ).

If your going into alum. then take one size larger bit to pilot. Alum will heat up the screw fast and break often.

If your going through 2 surfaces ( like a hull/deck joint ) .. over drill the first surface so the screw only gets screwed to the last surface..

YD.

Edit: PS ... if your talking threaded bolts .. if they get hot then trash them. They can Melt to the nut and create problems down the line. FYI.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This might come in handy when getting ready to Drill...
VOtay.jpg 3798q.jpg 2r4Nh.gif *Major thread diameter is measured on the outside of the threads.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I've had a problem with stainless steel bolts "galling" such that the threads tear out and the nut and bolt fuse together. It was a real hassle for me when this happened with a T-nut inside an upholstered seat. Now I never tighten up SS without some form of lube or wax on the threads. - Grandad

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is all about soft metal when you go stainless, pre drill and proper driver for the screw head is the focus.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

It is all about soft metal when you go stainless, pre drill and proper driver for the screw head is the focus.

Yup .. thats the key.

When you are using SS fasteners if you even start to strip the head off .. get it out and start a NEW screw after fixing the problem of Too tight to screw down :) .

Again .. warning with screwing SS to alum. They snap fast if your not careful. Same with fiberglass.

YD.