CONVERTING CLOSED BOW, TO OPEN BOW

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone,<br />The boat is 1972 Fiberform 16 footer with a 100HP johnson. It is currently a closed bow (with a flip open windsheild) The bow underside has some stringers running accross (the top as viewed from underneath), but they dont attach to the outside edges of the lower hull, they are just kind of floating. The bow now is strong enough for a man to stand on. I will have a link to some pics later today, or within a couple days anyways.<br /><br />I want to get the opinion of all of you pros, to see if and how structural that bow is before I go cutting anything. I have some ideas on how to make seats for the front, that would also be kind of like stingers going side to side, glued down with fiberglass, that i think would offer support if needed, and then the seats would screw to those. It looks like a beefy little boat, and the nose is a nice thick steep V. I know the pictures will help with the brainstorm, but figured i would get it out there for specualtion early. All glass, wood, frame etc. looks good i.e. no rot, holes anything like that.<br />I've had about 250 lbs on the nose, and the boat still road well, but that was at trolling speed, so i dont know if turning on plane would "dig in" or something on the turns. I plan (if I actually do this) on leaving 6 to 8 inces of boat around the cutout. I personally think it is strong enough to do this, but the thought of putting it into a turn with two people in the nose and the boat doing a cartwheel scares me (what do you felas think?).<br /><br />Thanks a million, i will have pics ASAP.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: CONVERTING CLOSED BOW, TO OPEN BOW

jamminmaz,<br /><br />I am no pro, but a 1972 Fiberform seems like a nice classic boat. In my opinion, too nice to be cutting up.<br /><br />Depending on it's condition, it may be worth more than you think by keeping it original.<br /><br />Mark.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I guess i never thought of resale value....Is there some place to find out how much shes worth?

f_inscreenname

Commander

First thing to worry about is structural. The deck holds the gunnels (sides off the boat) together. It would take a lot of material to get the strength back up. Second the boat was not designed to have people in the bow. I know trolling was O.K. but at speed I don't know. Tunneling a wave with a open bow could be the end of your day. Turning may be more rolling over on the side then digging in but plowing could be a problem. Also the boat was designed to only seat so many and you will be adding to that. Then cutting a bow out of a boat to make it a “bow rider” is a sad thing. I am not a fan of the “bow rider”. No offence to those who own them.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So maybe boats that are designed to bow ride, have a shallower V or something to raise the bouyancy of the nose? Maybe i should get that same 250-300 lbs in the nose, only get her up on plane this time and try some turns. its such a steep V in the front, i am scared of it digging in on turns. It sure would be sweet if that work, it would be a completely different boat!

f_inscreenname

Commander

If you can test, test, test. Once it is done there aint no go back.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

www.nwboating.com/ classifieds/detail/407<br /><br />Still dont have my pics, and this is a slightly different boat, but the belly, nose, and shape are almost exactly like this one..

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright gents,<br /><br />Here are the pics. You will see a few where i took a wet cloth to make a fake outline of what would be cut out. I don't think structure is too much of a problem especially if i left like 10 inches of boat, and then made saddle shaped stringers for the seats, that attach to what would be left of the existing stringers, to carry the side loads. What does worry me is the hydrodynamics of the deal. Please see front and side view to see if you think the hull has the bouyancy for 1-250lbs. Granted the weight would not be all the way forward nor all the way to the side (somewhat centered), but plowing into a cartweel at 30mph from being too nose heavy scares me.<br /><br />Please (i beg) all you hydrodynamic experts let me know what you think. I'm gonna take her to a lake with 300lbs of sandbags in the nose and see what happens, but until 2 weeks or so that i can do that, i welcome and beg for any and all speculation and possibilities from anyone. please hold no punches.<br /><br />thank you so oo o oo o oo much!<br /><br /> http://www.bninm.com/boat/index.htm

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any takers?<br /><br />If nothing else I will test it (without cutting) and let you guys know, for next time one of us gets a hair this wild.<br /><br />thankya form dried up NM

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Modifying your boat as you suggest could led to drastic handling problems particularly when crossing a following wave. Might want to read this article on trimming a boat before you begin even trying to test. If you've never broached after crossing a following wave before, I can tell you from personal experience with my improperly trimmed 1974 14' FiberForm RA that it is very dangerous. Very nearly got thrown out and suffered with whiplash for over a week. Broaching occurs when boat is bow heavy. Deep V bow makes it even more likely to occur.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I guess that answers this project then. I would definately prefer no seats up front to a broken neck any day of the week.<br /><br />Thank you for your help

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice looking boat. It has very classic lines. With a 100hp that thing must fly. Looks like a good candidate for restoration to me.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you!!<br /><br />I have been in the "paint" forums today, and it sounds like painting it wouldnt be too terribly hard. You can see in some of the pics, that she is naked now, and ready for carpet.<br /><br />I will get some more full body before shots, and keep you posted on the remodel.<br /><br />Thank you very much again,<br /><br />JB

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I agree with those who suggest to leave the basic design as is and restore it. It is a nice looking little classic boat. If you tried to put seating up front, first you have to deal with how to integrate the helm/steering into the design. Then you are left with a very small seating area, too small to be useful. In a boat that size and weight, changes in weight distribution can affect the handling a great deal. It may work on larger size boats though. For example, I have a FW 200 Horizon (bowrider).FW also made a cuddy (205 Sundowner) and sport cuddy (201 Liberator) all based on the same hull design, the dimensions of the 3 hulls were exactly the same. However, I don't know what differences there were in stringers, bulkheads, etc. Having had a bowrider, the minimum size for the front seating to be big enough to be useful is 20' IMHO. Any smaller and the whole boat just gets too cramped to be fun.<br />Also think of resale, if you change it no on may want to buy it, but a nice resto may have some good resale for down the road.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice boat, yur crazy if you cut it up IMHO

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all again,<br />What does IMHO stand for?<br />I will start a new thread for the remodel, but quickly, there is the black rubber surrounded by metal trim that goes arount the entire boat, where the sides meet the top. I think it is riveted in place. Is this something i can take off, and re-install; can you buy this stuff to make it new, or should I just tape, and paint around it?<br />MARK42--If i do repaint, would it be a good idea from a resale value standpoint to stick with the red, or can I go to a completely differnt color??<br /><br />thanks again, I'll have a new thread sand some pics soon.....

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jimmythekid:<br /> nice boat, yur crazy if you cut it up IMHO
I agree. <br /><br />But if you do cut it up, can I have the chrome fittings? They are classic stuff and need to be given a good home.<br /><br />IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion. It's a polite way of disagreeing.<br /><br />The black rubber is a rub rail or gunnel (gunwhale) rail. The older ones were often formed in place with a glue / bog compound and the newer ones might have self gripping lips on them. If you can remove any trim from corners you might be able to see the profile and work out whether it can be removed and replaced or just removed and left to make you wonder why you weren't more careful before pulling it off.<br /><br />New rub rail can be bought but often not in the old profiles so you might have to chisel all the old bog off before fitting new stuff.<br /><br />I can pretty much guarantee that taping around it before painting will result in it getting paint on it.<br /><br />It's a nice boat that just needs a clean up at worst. IMHO

davaugust

Seaman Apprentice

IMHO = "In My Humble Opinion".<br /><br />And for what it's worth..that boat will be AWESOME once restored, IMHO. :)

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you!!<br />I loved the boat before, but I had no idea it was such a classic.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

P.S. Just looked at your photos again and realised I'd missed a couple. Can I have the instruments too, please?