Fixing a backrest to a bench seat

ewawowa

Cadet
Hello folks. I've got a Fletcher Arrowflyte and want to put a bench seat in the front but I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach the back to the base. I making them from scratch as i like a challenge.
Seems us English don't like to make anything and some kind of hinge system is hard to find over here.
No pinch hinges are on this site are $20 but add shipping it comes to around $150!!!
So an alternative is needed. As its a front seat I haven't got anything to attach the back to except the base. And I fancy something a little better than hinges and rope.
Chances are I'm missing something easy like a L shaped roofing bracket.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fixing a backrest to a bench seat

Here's a couple of ideas for you..."Building and Upholstering a Bench Seat"

iBoats member sPhelps made this from basic aluminum Angle and flat bar. P.S. He also made from scratch the seats including the upholstery and the bases.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/mfg-rebuild-getting-started-pics-523969-54.html

DSC00946.jpg

ewawowa

Cadet

Here's a couple of ideas for you..."Building and Upholstering a Bench Seat"

iBoats member sPhelps made this from basic aluminum Angle and flat bar. P.S. He also made from scratch the seats including the upholstery and the bases.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/mfg-rebuild-getting-started-pics-523969-54.html

DSC00946.jpg

The first link I'd originally found on YouTube. It doesn't seem to say about joining the base to the backrest though.
The second link with the pic is what I had been picturing in my head. Thanks for the heads up :) I refuse to pay ?150+ for something I should be able to do. Fingers crossed. Lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

In this pic you can see where I built the Seat frame from 2 pieces of Douglas Fir wood, coated with epoxy to seal the wood then Painted with an oil based paint. The seat base and back attach to the base via industrial Velcro Strips Stapled to the seat base and back. I then attached aluminum angle with plastic feet to keep the wood off the deck. It does not fold down but with the lowered middle section it is easy to "Step Thru" to gain access to the rear of the boat when needed. The entire bench seat is removable as I like to be able to fish from the boat and the Bench seat is not practical in this configuration.

Photo0435.jpg

ewawowa

Cadet

With it being a front bench I like the aluminium angle corner support idea the best as it will look less bulky in my little 14ft fletcher. What thickness ply did you make your seat out of? Is the base about 500mm deep?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree the aluminum gives it a much lighter appearance. I may convert mine at a later date.

ewawowa

Cadet

Thank you for the advice. That all makes me feel better about giving it a go :)