Reupholstering my Grumman Funship Project

cin3000

Cadet
Hi all,
I know there are other iboat members who have posted their reupholstering projects on here but I thought I'd post mine too. I will post and attach photos periodically during the reupholstering process.

Here's a little background - I purchased my 1989 24' Grumman pontoon last July, 2013. Instead of working on cleaning it up and getting it all "pretty" last year, Jeff (my fiance) and I just wanted it out on the water for some fun in the sun. So, this year I'm focusing on fixing all the bugs and the doing the lengthy chore f reupholstering the seats. I was going to just replace all of the seats, including the bases and backs but Jeff made a great point - the pontoon is a 1989 and the seating is going to be worth more than the whole pontoon. So off I was to research redoing the seats. I came across woodonglass' thread on his reupholstering. Wow, what a TON of information he has on his thread. So, here I am about to start the reupholstering of my seats.
I have 7 seats - 4 which are 28" wide
1 which is 32" wide
2 which are 38" wide
I have the luxury of having drafting software so I drew up the pattern of the panels in AutoCAD so I could figure out the yardage for the vinyl. I am doing the seats in one color versus the original stripe pattern. I am also going to tackle doing the welting myself. My seats are going to be a very light gray with white piping.
So, with those size seats (and adding some seam allowance) I ordered 8 yards of light gray and 1 yard of white marine vinyl from a vendor on ebay. I also bought (10) Schmetz 110/18 needles and 1 Dabond UVR Polyester Thread V92 Marine 4oz SPOOL in white on ebay as well. Yes, I bought 10 needles because who knows how many I will go throught once I get going. I plan on using my Brother sewing machine I bought 9 years ago at Walmart. It's not an industrial or fancy model but just your basic sewing machine with different stitches and lengths. My other purchase was a roll of 1/8" cording I found in the marine section at Walmart. The cording will be used to make the welting.

Lastly, I want to tell you that I researched what type of cleaner would work best to clean the existing seat backs and base on my pontoon. I found that Spray Nine Marine was what people most boasted about. So off to the marina I went to buy a bottle. I have to tell you, I was actually excited about cleaning when I got home. I wanted to see what all these people were raving about. After my first seat, I knew why they were so impressed with this cleaner. See before and after pictures.
Contrast.jpgBefore.jpgAfter.jpg

As you can see, there are still some mildew stains but I can handle that compared to what it was! I did go over some of the darker spots a few times and used lots of elbow grease using a hard bristled brush to get it off the best I could. I found that letting the Spray Nine sit on the spot for a minute or two worked better than cleaning it off right away.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reupholstering my Grumman Funship Project

Lot's of other upholstery help here on the forum. Don't be surprised if that Brother machine doesn't have enuf "Umph" to go thru 6 layers of vinyl. thats what it will need to do when you do the piping. I started with a Kenmore that was similar to your Brother and it struggled with it. I found a Heavy Duty MORSE for $75 on CL and it worked a lot better and I still use it. JDAQ1975 mrdjflores and others are good sources as well. Let us know if we can help.

cin3000

Cadet

Yeah, I'm finding that my Brother isn't doing the job well. I found a few heavy duty machines on craigslist and am waiting back to hear from the sellers. I tried sewing the welting last night on my Brother and I couldn't get the tension just right, the thread would get all tangled in the bobbin, and i had large loops on the underside. I adjusted it back and forth for almost 2 hours and finally gave up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For welting you need a zipper foot. Hopefully you were using one. I don't know much about the settings on a Brother but this might help you with it...

Understanding Thread Tension - Threads

Make sure your needle is installed correctly as well. TIP: I practiced on two layers of scrap vinyl until I got the stitches I wanted and then and only then did I try the welting. It went smoothly.;)

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a zipper foot for my singer for welting. I got a welting foot and it has been the best thing ever. It was $15. it feeds the material and the cord all together and puts the stitch right in the same spot no matter what. Once its set up i just run the machine wide open until i have enough welting or run out of material. I don't even have to look at it. I highly recommend it. Look for old singer 111w's They were used by the military for parachute sewing. A lot of people have them hiding in garages and stuff. Parts are everywhere and any sewing machine repair man worth his weight can get one running in no time. Its rated to punch through 1/4 inch of belting leather.

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

I am almost done with sewing my seats, and I did the same thing you are doing. I also used my Brother machine - it's a Brother SE400, so it's not "top" of the line, but it's not entry level, either. I used leather needles and went through about 6 for the whole project. I also used "outdoor" thread. I bought all of my supplies (and marine vinyl) at Jo-Ann. They have a LOT of marine vinyl and with the coupons, it's cheap. My brother machine fought me from time to time when I needed to go through many many MANY layers, but I could do it if I went really slow and it did a surprisingly good job on everything else. A walking foot would have been really nice, though, because sometimes the vinyl would kind of stick to the zipper foot and didn't want to feed through nicely. The walking foot for my machine is $50, though, so I didn't buy it (yet). I also have an old Morse (Photomatic) that could sew through a rock, but I just couldn't seem to get it to play nice! I had all kinds of problems getting the vinyl to feed through the machine properly - problems I've never had with this machine before. I started on my Brother not thinking it would get me very far, but it ended up working fine for the entire project.

Good luck! I'd love to know how it's coming along - keep us posted!