1990 Glastron SSV 199 bizzaro engine mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All

I am deep into it. All decking (floor) is out, and now assessing the stringers. There are two short (about 3') stringers that run beside the engine mounts. They are rotted so I cut them out today.

Its the engine mounts themselves that are perplexing me. I drilled an explore hole near the bottom of the starboard mount to see what the wood was like. Once I removed the drill bit, clean clear water poured out.

Well there was no wood at all. The entire mount was filled with clear water.

After it drained, I poked through the hole to find it completely empty. No residue of rotting wood. The port side is the same (although no water in that one)

I explore the holes on top where the lag bolts go to mount the engine, and sure enough there is rotten wood up top.

So I am beginning to believe that the fiberglass itself is intended to take the load of the engine. And that the wood at the top is there only to secure the lag boat. This makes the mounts worth saving as rot does not weaken the load bearing ability.

Perhaps if I cut an access hole, I can get in there and scoop out the old wood and and replace it.

Anyhoo....anybody ever opened up mounts and found them like this? Am I off track?

Here are some pictures to orient you.

Hull opened up.jpg

Engine mount - water.jpg

Cheers
Chris

AssyrianWonder

Recruit
Hey there! sorry to bring up old thread but I just bought a 1990 glastron 175 knowing I have to replace the engine. Just pulled the engine out and noticed both rubber mounts were sitting on what seems to be just the fiberglass? There is a little bit of rotted wood in the area I almost said screw it and fill up with a special epoxy but was wondering what you ended up doing for the front engine mounts because 3 of the 4 lag bolts were kind of just doing nothing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey there! sorry to bring up old thread but I just bought a 1990 glastron 175 knowing I have to replace the engine. Just pulled the engine out and noticed both rubber mounts were sitting on what seems to be just the fiberglass? There is a little bit of rotted wood in the area I almost said screw it and fill up with a special epoxy but was wondering what you ended up doing for the front engine mounts because 3 of the 4 lag bolts were kind of just doing nothing.

Please start a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.