76 Hammond El Dorado V1950 Restoration

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
100_2779.jpg100_2671.jpg

Been wandering the forum for a few weeks thought I sould say hello. I was given this free. This is a 1976 Hammond El Dorado V1950. It has a Mercruiser 888, which I assume is a 302 Ford type engine from the looks of it. I'll also have to get a title for it. I may or may not be able to salvage the engine. It was stored outside for over 8 years. It was originally stored to drain off the water bow up, but as the years went by the jack sank into the ground leading to a bow down condition. The interior rough and the transon, floor, and stringers need replacement. I know it looks hopeless but I do like a challenge.

I have removed the engine and outdrive, am in process of removal of interior and other junk. At the walkthrough Window there is a gap. the window barely catches at the bottom corner. I am assuming that during the long interval the boat went through freezing and swelling, lifting the floor. I can get it to come back together with a strap, but it springs back out if I remove it.

After I remove the rotten floor and stringers, if it does not settle down what options could be done after that?

Regards, 52FordF2

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 76 Hammond El Dorado V1950 Restoration

Here is what it looked liked when I first saw it.

100_2566.jpg 100_2596.jpg

The four life vests that were submerged under the seat survived in nearly new condition. Wish I could have save the tree, I could have had some shade out on the lake.

I have drained the boat and started removal of interior
See previous pictures.

Removed outdrive and motor
100_2879.jpg 100_2942.jpg

and cleaned out the bilge somewhat.
100_2950.jpg

Planning on measurements next. Here there everywhere!

52FordF2

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able to get the Title, but now I need to get a VIN for the trailer. Eventhough I am from Kentucky I'll probably be using her up in Indiana a lot. Thats why I'll need a VIN. I pulled the Gimbal and Transon adapter off.
100_3042.jpg

Then did a few measurments
100_3045.jpg

I started to remove the floor some. The fiberglass was thin enough to cut with my carpenters knife.
100_3065.jpg

The floor also came out in big sections. It was only fiberglass down, not nailed or screwed.

Regards, I'll keep ya'll updated, when I start putting her back together I need your advise.

52FordF2

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also I lucked out on a portable 16 X 20 garage. They kind of ran over it with the fork lift an decided to throw it away. Smash a few poles and tore the cover. I also had a 30 year old tarp that I could use to replace the cover. Its an old type Herkulan tarp. It makes it dark in there at midday.

100_3077.jpg

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stripped out a lot of foam yestaurday. You all never mentioned how heavy the bags can get! Had 8 bags. Some of the foam near the fuel inlet smelled of gas. I was planning on having it cleaned and tested anyway. Have two big blocks to remove next time I get to it.

52FordF2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Welcome to the iboats dry dock 52Ford! I have to say I really like the lines of your EL Dorado and believe she is worthy of a 2nd chance at life. You have a ton of work ahead or you on this one and I know how much ambition it takes to restore/repair a neglected boat not to mention the money. You even had a tree growing inside her!

Good job so far on the tear down, at least on your glass boat you don't have the set of problems we do on tin with all of the corrosion and froze up bolts/rivets.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if this type of rusted bolt counts. :lol:

100_2896.jpg

or this

100_2737.jpg

Thanks for checking by, I'll keep ya'll posted

52FordF2

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I have to go on travel be back in a week or so. Now I just need to decide on what tool to use when I get back?:laugh:

Decisions, Decisions
100_3153.jpg

Do you think I should get a few more tools, just to be on the safe side. I'm just going to be cutting into this a little

100_3151.jpg

The two big ones just be sure to hold on them when you turn them on. they eat steel for breakfast, even when you tell them to stop. The angle cutter normally is on a bigger straight air tool that has a suicide switch.:rolleyes:

52FordF2

Watermann

Oh man yeah rusted out, I have a Merc 120 block that's falling apart from rust.

More power tools the better! Suicide switches... :eek:

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there anyone out there who is having withdrawal symptoms? :eyebrows: I am just getting ready to start cutting out the boxes at the aft end and the foot rest section before starting on the stringers this week. If you need a fix please contact me and I'll let you take all the glass itch that you can stand :rolleyes:.
100_3141.jpg

100_3175.jpg

Also got the fuel tank out
100_3162.jpg

100_3161.jpg

Lets check, got coveralls, 3Xtyvex suit, leather gloves, face mask, goggles, Assorted grinders and cutters. I think I'm ready. Still is there anyone needing a fix?

52FordF2

Watermann

I'm on my way out the door to strip some more paint off that Chief's tin. I will get my fix in without itching!

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the stringers are out. Will need to start grinding everything down now for a clean fit. The only sections that had rot were always at areas that were not fiberglassed properly. All stringers are nearly complete, for reuse as patterns. I'm thinking of washing down the inside and outside before I start.

The fuel tank looked like it may have leak some for years. But I noticed on the fuel tank that two of the sending unit plate screws were stripped out. That may be where the leak is. I was thinking of using a threaded style rivet to repair it. Unless someone is up for some welding of a fuel tank with a few vapors:eek:. I'll pressure test it before I clean it to verify it.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I fix the gap in the walk thru window "see Post#1":D. It may have been a factor of eight years of freezing, but when I cut the last piece of fiberglass holding down the inside piece of the cap there was a pop:eek:. No there was no damage it was just settling to its correct position. It looks like it may have been misaligned and not repaired at the factory. There is now no gap put I have to slightly push it apart to open it. I'll fix it with a slight even gap later.

I also found some factory drain holes installed under the cap! Where do they go? Of course into the area's between the stringers where the foam is:facepalm:.

On another note, I may need some advise from the fiberglass Guru's. I found some water/air bubble pockets on the transom that I chased till the backside of the gell coat. The original fiberglass looks like it had never seen resin, leaving pockets. Should I repair with CSM before I install transom or just PB it during the transom install?:confused:

Still grinding, will post pictures Friday

Watermann

Lots of tough work there Fitty2, not sure why the crowd of glasser types haven't seen your post, maybe it's in stealth mode? :confused:

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you need to make sure you grind out the air pockets to fresh glass. then i would repair with a mix of CSM, and possibly some PB prior to setting in the new transom

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is a ford 302...but usually has 351w heads and uses a 351w cam/firing order

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I washed out the boat yesterday. Got a lot of crud out. Here is some shots of the transom
100_3370.jpg 100_3372.jpg
The problem area are where I wrote "Wet" at. I probably need to chase it some more, it looks like I am on the back side of the gell coat.

On the window gap I'll need to create a floor piece under the front cap area. Then push it up to create a gap then tab it in location. After that scab some support pieces from it to the stringers.

100_3401.jpg 100_3409.jpg

I plan on de-capitating some time after the stringers and front piece is in. Then turn the hull over and repair some problem area.

I'm planning on tearing down the engine during the winter. Don't know if it is salvageable yet.

Thanks Watermann, mrdjflores for stopping by.

I may have run into a little snag though. Frankfort KY DMV says they cannot process may title because of missing paperwork even though originally they said I had everything:mad: and presented me with the boat registration. Now I need to check back with Indiana DMV again for more paperwork.

Thanks for listening.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

I've had a similar problem at the WV DMV. I just returned at a different day & time, hoped to get a different DMV clerk. No problem, title & reg for both boat & trailer. The 1st time, I didn't have everything, and was told to bring the additional XY & Z paperwork, including pix of both boat & trailer. I returned w/ the requested info & a different clerk asked for different paperwork & didn't want 1 of the papers I had been told to bring. Turns out they were both correct on some paperwork & incorrect on others. Using the state website & calling the state DMV officer for boats (1 guy handles ALL boat & trailer reg & titles for the whole state of WV :facepalm: carp no wonder it takes so long) I was able to be better prepared & only once did the leave & come back since talking to the state DMV officer.

Boats are not always straight forward like most vehicles are. The clerks don't know exactly what to expect or ask for. Particularly when each state has different registration & titling rules & regulations. Go to both the KY DMV & Indiana websites, read & adhere to the list of regulations & required paperwork. Call the state DMV office, ask lots of questions. If you think you are in compliance don't be afraid to ask for some assistance or a supervisor when the clerk asks for paperwork you don't have. But only as an aid to understanding exactly what is required & absolutely necessary. They DO NOT like being told their wrong :rolleyes:

FWIW, what did they say you were missing?

The fiberglass laminations are wet:
attachment.php

Yep, you don't want to seal the moisture into the transom...............

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kentucky Office they said I needed either the last known registration from the seller or can accept a printout from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles showing the last registered owner as long as the boat has not been titled in Indiana. I have been sending emails back and forth for the past two days. They don't even read the emails because the last one I sent was replyed back to me as "You will need to contact the State of Kentucky to see what you can do to properly title and register this watercraft there."
I really don't want to have to trash this boat. I'll see what their next reply is hopefully soon.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Since your profile lists dual locations, are you legally an Indiana resident too? Take a step back & see if you can, or at least what it would take to, register/title it in Indiana, in your name.

Then once in your name, if it will primarily be used in KY waters, transfer it to KY documents. There's a usage rule here in WV, but I don't know IN or KY's usage limits.

A little more time waiting for paperwork from 2 states, and more money to reg/title in 2 states, but it might help you get the process started & more importantly, finished.....

I have found that speaking to the 1 guy in Charleston in charge of boat & trailer reg/title via phone helped immensely. But going to the DMV (IN & KY may be DNR, or F&W/F&G, IDK) and talking to a clerk, in person, helped even more.

It'd be worth the effort to find an outlying DMV that isn't jammed w/ people all day, every day. If you think you've got all the necessary paperwork & can't get good help from the clerk, try another clerk on another day. It really is crazy how difficult some clerks & some states make this process.....

Unfortunately, I'd stop working on it until you get it resolved. You may need to have a visual inspection done by a local sheriff or cop.

BTW: I looked this up, and if you use the boat primarily (50% or more I guess, so in a year, used 183 days +/-, solely in KY) or for 60 consecutive days, you are supposed to register it in KY. If you boat 60 consecutive days in a row, regularly, I want your job :D Heck 45 days & I'm in :watermelon:

KY boating regulations

BMV registration Indiana

BMV title Indiana

Might try to back up & try to claim the boat as abandoned. 1/2 torn down might make it all the more likely to have been abandoned. KY & IN may have different rules for abandoned boats too....

Best of luck, it's never as easy as we'd hoped. Neither working on them or titling them....