Marinette 28'

jbrown1

Recruit
Have an opportunity to buy a 1985 Marinette 28' Sportman that has been out of the water, covered, sitting on a cradle for 6 years and now for sale. Has 2 Chevy V6 motors and looks to be fairly shipshape... they do not know condition of the engines...does anyone know what to offer... they do not know what to ask for the boat? <br />JB

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Marinette 28'

Offer nothing until you find out the condition of the engines.<br />If they are bad, you will wish you had never seen the boat. A survey will determine the value of the boat, its better to spend a few hundred, rather than buy a boat, and then spend thousands before you get it in the water.<br />Good Luck!!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

As I recal Marinettes are welded Aluminum hulls.<br /><br />I've lusted after a 'deal' on one like you're looking at for 20 years.<br /><br />However:<br /><br />Until you can test run it---<br /><br />The hull probably has about 1000 pounds of Aluminum in it. That should bring about 50 cents a pound at the re-cycling center.<br /><br /><br />If the engines aren't blown apart from freezing, or just worn out,,, the core deposit on their blocks and heads are probably worth about $500. total. <br /><br />If you have to buy it 'as is'. Its a salvage deal where you don't get paid to 'make it dissappear. The salvage on it 'as is' is about $1000. Maybe the owner can find someone to pay more, but the field is very narrow in that reguard. <br /><br /><br />If and when you can drive it across the lake---- of course the price goes WAY!! up. Then you get into how good the paint job is, and what the upholstery looks like. In that case, you should be able to seperate the owner from it for about $7500 or so if it looks good and runs good even without a trailer.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Marinette's are one of my favorites & I have looked at a bunch. They are a well built, low maintenance boat that is easily driven due to the relatively light weight. Jig welded aluminum construction hulls are very tough.<br /><br />I did a quick search and found 5 28' Marinette's between the years of 1983 & 1987. Prices ran from 20K to 35K. They were various configurations but all twin engine Chrysler 318's. Which brings me to my first question. Are you sure about the engines in this boat? It is unusual to find a Marinette with anything but a Chrysler. IMO, this boat in average original condition should bring 10K easy.<br /><br />However, a running boat in average condition is not what you are looking at. I would make an offer on the boat like the engines did not exist. If they turn out to be OK...great. If not, you can afford to re-power. Assuming the rest of the boat appears to be straight...everything there...not abused etc., I would take a battery to the boat and see if the engines will turn over (not locked up). If they will, I would offer about 2K if I liked the rest of the boat. All he can do is get mad...or take the money.<br /><br />Make sure what engines are in the boat. It is more expensive to repower Chryslers than Chevy's. Buick V-6's I would avoid if they are the aluminum block. I-6 Chevy's are great. Let us know.