Repair of leaky aliminum Bass Tracker

RobDar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Boat is a 17' Bass Tracker Pro 175. When I bought the boat (for a little less than half it's worth) I noticed the keel had been repaired with JB weld (the entire length of the keel rib on both sides and every rivet). I had the place who sold it to me check it for leaks...which they did...and it was fine. This year the boat started leaking and is getting worse. I got under the boat today to start looking into fixing it and the JB weld is all busted up and flaking off as well as several of the rivets have pulled through the keel rib so it is fairly loose. I called a few places and they say that the JB weld makes welding the keel nearly impossible because there will be no way to guarantee the weld. (it will be nearly impossible to get the keel and JB weld cleaned off well enough for a good weld.) SO WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? Anyone with any Ideas?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Repair of leaky aliminum Bass Tracker

You can sand blast the entire area and either have it repaired or you can use 3m 5200 sealant and do iot yourself.If you sand blast it clean the 5200 will do a permanent repair that may outlast the boat.Charlie

RobDar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Repair of leaky aliminum Bass Tracker

thank you charlie...will look into that.