Removing bottom paint

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My boat is a freswater fiberglass boat that used to stay in the water, so the po put on some bottom paint. I am not at all familiar with bottom paint. The stuff that is on there is extremely chalky. If you just brush up against it whatever touched it is instantly black. And it is very difficult to get off your hands. I have no idea what brand or type it is. I keep it on the trailer when i'm not using it, so I really dont need it on there. What is the best way to get this off?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing bottom paint

A really good Paint Scraper and a LOT of Elbow Grease. Bahco 665XXX Premium Ergonomic Carbide Scraper - Amazon.comIt's got some nasty, toxic ingredients sooo... be very conscious of that and wear a full face respirator with really good filters. Wiping down with Acetone will temporarily remove the Chalkiness. If your careful during the removal you'll prolly be able to salvage the underlying Gelcoat.;)

tpenfield

Staff member

It sounds like copper-based ablative paint (highly toxic) . . .

Avoid getting on your hands, etc. and breathing the dust.

I use "Peel-Away" paint remover to soften the paint up and then the scraper has an easier job. Without using a paint remover, and merely scraping, you could dig into the gelcoat a bit with the scraper.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is true^^^ I forgot to mention the Chemical Remover. Thanks tpenfield!!!:joyous:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Avoid getting on your hands, etc. and breathing the dust." Probably a little late for that. But in the future...

I wasnt to keen on the idea of the scraper. I would probably just leave it on instead of scraping since I dont want to mess up the gel coat. I guess I will try some paint stripper.

Thanks.

Ned L

Commander

I'm not recommending it be treated differently, but I think to call cuprous oxide in the form of bottom paint "highly toxic" is a bit extreme.
I don't believe 'traditional' fresh water bottom paint used cuprous oxide anyway.