1986 Beachcraft 192 Magnum

JamieClay

Cadet
I'm trying to find a web resource for manuals for this? I moved next door to one that has been neglected and the stern is under (brackish) water for about a year.

The owner said I can have it, if I can salvage it - but I want to do more research into this boat to better understand what it may be worth (if salvaged).

Web searches have not yielded much other than at some point these boats were also sold under the Reinell name.

Is there a good site for getting manuals?

Thanks!

Jamie

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Beachcraft 192 Magnum

Welcome to iBoats!

Boats don't usually come with "Manuals"
What specific information/knowledge are you trying to obtain? This forum has some of the most knowledgeable folks in the world on it, and they can probably give you the information you're seeking if you ask your questions here. Post em up along with some pics of the old girl and see what happens.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

JamieClay

Cadet

Welcome to iBoats!

Boats don't usually come with "Manuals"
What specific information/knowledge are you trying to obtain?

Technical specifications and configurations - that sort of thing. The gentleman who owns the boat currently can't locate them (he's pretty busy) so I thought I would look around to see what was available.

He thinks some seal around the transom leaked and that's why the stern went under. It appears to be sitting on the bottom and I need to develop a strategy for raising it.

Knowing how the stern drive is configured on this particular boat might be helpful. If there is a seal back there that needs to be closed off so I can bail it out for example - that would be a start.

I also wonder if the boat would float even when fully swamped. Currently the bow of the boat is on a failed flotation lift. This is forcing the stern under. If I cut it free of the lift and pull it away, might the boat level off enough for me to pump it out and raise it.

blewjeane.jpg

Anyway - as it stands I can't seem to even find pictures of this year and model boat, I was hoping there would be a manufacturer's web site. I take it Beachcraft is out of business?

Thanks!

PS - I know this looks like a lot of work, the way I look at it - if I can salvage the boat then great but if not I'll take it away and at least I'll clean up the shoreline next to my home.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Whatever floatation the boat may have one had in the stern is likely compromised badly, and any previously watertight compartments now full of water. I don't see now you can pump it out til you raise the stern enough to have the gunwales clear the water. A salvage float bag is all I can think of for this application.

You might get away with laying pipe or logs across the keel and winching it out a little. Can't tell what the surface directly under the boat is.

Even if it's a lost cause, you might could salvage enough bright metal fittings and trim to Craig's List to pay for your labor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All I/O's have Seals for the outdrive sealing it to the transom in order for water to not penetrate to the interior of the boat. It this seal fails and the Bilge pumps fail then the boat can fill with water and sink. With the weight of the motor it can happen very quickly. For this boat to be raised I'd agree with the above that Salvage float bags would be the best method to raise her and then pumps to pump her out. How close is the nearest boat ramp. A Fresh battery and a high volume bilge pump might allow you to tow her to the ramp and loaded on a trailer once you get her afloat. If she is not "Tied" to the Flotation Lift why would the lift be pulling her down? If she is tied, you could cut her loose and see if she would float. I doubt it. A Large Tube placed under the stern and inflated would prolly lift her up enuf to pump her out. YOu might even be able to tie the tube off and leave it under her while towing to the ramp. a Lot of work for a boat thats gunna cost a LOT to restore. The motor and outdrive will NOT be able to be salvaged having been under water for so long so IMHO this is a LOST CAUSE!!!

JamieClay

Cadet

The nearest ramp is a couple lagoons away, so I would have to raise her long enough to get towed there.

The flotation lift is holding the bow up out of the water so the weight of the flooded stern along with the obvious weight of the motor and drive 'pushes' the stern down. My thought was, if the boat would float fully swamped, it would allow me to pull it out of it's current position, get it level and then hopefully lift the stern enough so water wouldn't come over as I tried to pump it.

The lagoon it's in has a typical soft muck bottom, FWIW.

It does seem like the boat is a lost cause, so I'm inclined to proceed thinking at least I'm cleaning up the shoreline.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would be inclined to attempt to get a "Ski Tube" that you pull behind a boat and wedge it under the stern if possible and bring a portable compressor to the dock. Put a high volume bilge pump in her, start pumping and inflating the tube and see what happens. If you can get the gunwales above water, and the high volume pump to keep the water out you might be able to see where the water is coming in from and fashion some sort of temporary patch. 3M 5200 will cure underwater as well as PC-11 epoxy. Some "Water Time with a Snorkel and a mask and some Ingenuity might get the job done.:D

JamieClay

Cadet

That's not a bad idea. Another idea I had was to get two 10' 2x4s - mount eyebolts into them and use a come-along threaded under the drive to slowly lift it up while running a high powered pump. The water is not much more than 5' deep, with any luck the muck is only a foot or two, so 10' should be enough.

The wood beams would be also loosely strapped to the back of the stern to keep them from pushing out.

This is where having pictures of the boat's configuration would help me to know where the best place would be to thread the come-along.

Is there a repository of these boats out there? When googling this model, I've not found any good images.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Personally,...........................

I would leave it to the owner,......

The boat is trashed,............

Don't touch it and leave the liability with the owner,........

I can't believe that the DNR isn't issuing daily fines for it being submerged,...............

JamieClay

Cadet

Yeah, I inclined to agree with you Teamster. The owner is a retired widower (but still works during the day) and isn't easy to get a hold of - but is a nice guy when you do.

I could get the neighborhood community 'police' on him but really don't want it to come to that - that's what initiated my involvement here.

jbcurt00

Staff member

In California, I too find it hard to believe it's been under that long, and that it hasn't already had fines assessed. Certainly looks like it has been under for quite a while.

Having been in & around where it sunk, thank you for considering it's removal, but honestly, I, unfortunately, agree w/ Teamster. I can't imagine the effort necessary would even remotely be covered by any funds recouped selling anything off on CL.

The owner should have salvaged the boat long ago, and if it could have been done w/out massive effort &/or expense, I suspect it would have been.

The current owner should be held accountable & liable for it's removal & disposal.

If you are looking for a project boat, there should be LOTS of decent candidates. IMHO, this boat is not on that list.

Maybe offer to savlage it for your costs plus a reasonable amount ($500, more?) that could be put towards a project in at least floating condition.

Look into hull (& engine) disposal. As I remember it, the processing station in San Rafael had pretty specific rules about what it took as far as hazardous material & when, not all material every hour of every day. Fiberglass, engines & fluids (gas, oil, etc etc) are all probably considered hazardous, esp in CA. The upholstery & flotation foam are also now hazardous too as they likely have gas &/or oil in/on them.

It's probably much too heavy for a come along & a couple 2X4 to safely lift.

Is it in Tiberon?

zool

Captain

"Another idea I had was to get two 10' 2x4s - mount eyebolts into them and use a come-along threaded under the drive to slowly lift it up while running a high powered pump."

With that soaked transom and motor mounts, that will just tear it all apart, and possibly send all the fluids into the drink, then the hazmat may be your fault.

If is tidal, you could possibly set the boards under the rear of the hull at high tide, and pump it as the tide goes out....but...

JamieClay

Cadet

It's in Bel Marin Keys - the 2x4 / come-along idea was only to lift it enough to get the transom top above the waterline and for a pump to have a chance. (wasn't gong to lift the boat OUT of the water)

I'm not certain as to why the stern is under - the owner says he thinks it's the seal. Of course he may have observed that before the lift failed, resulting in the stern dropping in. I didn't investigate that history too closely - he says it's been like this for a year.

In theory it's possible the lift failed, tilted the boat down, the cover tore let rain water in and the rest was gravity.

I'm inclined to tell him it's beyond the scope of my expertise - sure I could very likely do it but there must be someone out there who are better prepared to manage it.

Zool - it's not tidal, the keys are maintained at a specific level with locks. And yes, you're right about the potential risk - this is why I came here, to get this type of advice.

It's been amazing helpful, folks! Thank you.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Not familiar w/ Bel Marin Keys, but likely know where it is, just not the name. I live up the hill from the San Rafael mall, directly up from Sears Automotive. Loved living there, just not the cost of power & housing.

There's likely a reason it hasn't yet been salvaged. Lots of risk associated w/ recovery, and in CA, probably best not to be a DIY project.

Best of luck if you continue to look for a project.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure you come back when you find a good project,........

JamieClay

Cadet

I for sure will - in fact, if I'm involved with the salvage of this boat (actually the removal) - I'll return and post pictures.

Thanks again for the GREAT advice! Good things DO happen on the internet! ;-)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

You could always stick around do some research in other threads to give you an idea what you will be looking at,.......

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good idea ^^ then you can figure out where to look & what to look out for when inspecting a project boat.