Pedestal seat bolt?

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Want to bolt down a pedestal seat for me in my boat and would like to know if I should use just the lag bolts or the anchor lag bolts where you put the piece down in the floor first and the bolt expands it when tightened. We already put a new 3/4" plywood floor down over the existing floor,so I know I can go at least that long into the floor. thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pedestal seat bolt?

So you just covered up an old rotten deck with new plywood?.. interesting.

2" long by 1/4" diameter (probably #12 or #14) stainless steel sheet metal screws will hold until your deck rots out again. No need for the anchor, just screw it in.

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No it was not all rotten, had a soft spot near the engine cover. Was told that rather opening up a can of worms on a 1982 boat We should just sheet the whole floor with 3/4".

jbcurt00

Staff member

No it was not all rotten, had a soft spot near the engine cover. Was told that rather opening up a can of worms on a 1982 boat We should just sheet the whole floor with 3/4".
Not sound advice, sorry

Ok, you just covered up the can of worms so they could breed and multiply and make other cans of worms.

Soft spots near the engine cover will mean rotten motor mount stringers soon... if they aren't already.

Have you read this thread?:
http://forums.iboats.com/completed-...gnature-deck-stringer-restoration-510077.html

Jay's thread is a good start. Pick a thread in the resto section. There are many who've had a smaller soft spot and all was not good below decks. Some were extremely unsafe.

Post up some pix, and let us see what you're working on.

After laying the new deck over the old, how did you finish it off to protect it from the weather?

Boat & boat resto safely....