77 Skeeter Wrangler restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks good but..are you precoating the wood and letting it tack up prior to laying the glass???

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
I'm know I'm late to the party, but I'm jumping in as another bass boat guy. I love the old Skeeters; just something about them... Currently doing a partial restore to an '89 Skeeter and did a full blown restore on an '84 Skeeter a few years back.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sure am wood. I'm learning from the best, all you guys on this site.

fmjnax, Having tons of fun restoring this old skeeter. Like to see pics of what you got going on.

Jordanchastin

Seaman Apprentice
Tagging along pop, hope you don't mind! Doing some good stuff from what I've seen! Just started my bass boat the past couple weeks. Mines the 1980s bass boat project. Keep up the good work!

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
Man, I wish I had made one of those glass cutting stations. My wife didn't appreciate me using her kitchen table as the cutting board. I did at least have cardboard down, though. :D Progress is looking good. I like the lines on that boat. Keep it up!

As for pictures of my projects, I have links in my signature for them. If there's any specific questions you have, fire away and I'll do my best to answer them (though WoG has typically been my source of information. :) )

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, It was suggested that I should put duel cable steering on the boat. I dont now much about this. Is this something I should do? If so, where would I find information on it? Has anyone here converted their steering?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Who on earth suggested dual cable steering!!! The new single cable steering is SOOOOOOO much better and more reliable there's NO WAY I'd recommend anything other than it!!!!

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Wood, So you think the original steering setup is good enough? It seemed to be all good before I started restoration.

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer
For bass boats, I think the dual cable rack (and pinion) system is "recommended" (using the term loosely) for V6 and/or 50+ mph setups. My 115 pushes my boat over 50mph and I use a single cable rack system (and I prefer the no feedback systems). I never noticed any chine walk or problems that would otherwise make me consider a dual cable system.

If you don't have any slop in your current system and everything looks good with the cable, it might be ok to re-use it. However, on these older boats I don't really like to risk it, just a personal preference. For less than $200 you can get a new rack system and have the piece of mind. Last thing I want to happen is have a rusted/corroded/unmaintained steering cable snap on me at over 50mph.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This is true ^^^. But...IF your system is in Good shape then there's no need for the extra expense IMHO. If you need to replace then a Rotary No Feed back System would/Should be more than adequate for your boat and setup. Again just an Old Dumb Okies opinion. Your boat...Your Choice!!!

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the rotary NFB system. The steering is the only thing not replaced.

Ratvette

Cadet
Hello ,
I know this is an old thread but I desperate. I have the very same 77 skeeter, that is undergoing the very same procedure. I bought it last spring knowing that it needed restoring. My plan was to pull the cap off and carefully measure and document all the sub structure as I gutted the hull. As fate would have it, this boat had repairs on top of repairs, to the extent of nothing factory hardly left.There were 2x4's hammered in in place if the stringers, well supports were foamed out. Patches on top of patches with jewels, bondo, old licence plates, plastic panels ect....
I would like to find out if the OP for this thread kept any records of the measurements he took, or if anyone has original documentation for a 1977 skeeter wrangler. I'm not far from the skeeter factory in Longview texas, so I went by one day to see if they still had documentation . No luck there. Was told that after yamaha bought them out , everything for the older boats were lost.They sent me to Tiny. Real nice guy but he couldn't help much either. We talked " seat of your pants" procedures to get it back as close as possible, but I have no starting point really.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello Ratvette wow its been years since I've been here. To answer your question, no I didn't keep any measurements. I just took measurements of whatever was left of the old pieces and made templates out of 1/2" foam board insulation. Easier to trim and adjust as needed to fit . good luck hope this helped a little. would love to see pictures of your project.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hello Ratvette wow its been years since I've been here. To answer your question, no I didn't keep any measurements. I just took measurements of whatever was left of the old pieces and made templates out of 1/2" foam board insulation. Easier to trim and adjust as needed to fit . good luck hope this helped a little. would love to see pictures of your project.
Hi Pop did you get your project finished?