77 Skeeter Wrangler restoration

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, I,m new to the forum and also first time boat owner. I bought this 77 wrangler not knowing anything about boats. The previous owner said it needed a little tlc but after reading this site for a few months , I now see it needs a total rebuild. OK, the question I have is, I'm going to lift the cap off and I noticed some build a cradle for the hull and others don't. I like the idea of leaving it on the trailer to work on so I can move it in and out of my shop. I would appreciate your thoughts on this since you are all more knowlegable about this than I am. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 Skeeter Wrangler restoration

DryDock-1.jpg

Pics always help us to help you. What style of trailer is she on? Rollers or Bunks? If Bunks then usually you can add a few additional supports and leave her where she sits. Pics will help us help you make this decision.

WelcomeAboard2-1.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Here's a good thread on boat cradles and how to make them.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/boat-hull-cradle-help-584635.html

You can put casters on your cradle and move the boat around by hand easily.

Take lots of measurements after removing the cap and before any demolition for future reference, it also helps to be able to set the cap back on the hull from time to time to be sure it's still going to fit if that's possible.

Post pics of your boat now so we can watch you make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here are a few pictures of the boat. I know bass boats aren't big here but a boat is a boat, right? I had already removed a lot from it when the pictures were taken. (Controls, Wiring, Gauges, Accessories)

IMG_0509.JPGIMG_0501.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0498.JPG

Trailer has bunks
IMG_0500.JPG

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Splash well worked on before, not sure what they were doing with the cut out home made cap.

IMG_0502.JPGIMG_0503.JPGIMG_0504.JPG

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK. CAP OFF. Here's a surprise. Blown out patch. Cant see it from outside hull. What would you do about this? Leave it alone or re-do?

IMG_0515.JPGIMG_0516.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

When you say "Blown Out" was it/is it leaking? I really like your "Cap Remover" I think everyone should have one of those!!!:D

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Deck is about 1.5in drop to hull. Should I extend new deck out to meet hull for better fit?

IMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPG

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now here's my first of many, many, many questions. This is a list of material I have made from what I've been reading the last few months here in the forums. (Talk about my head spinning)

10 gal -435 Resin
5 Qt- Cabsoil
1 Lb- 1/4" chopped strand
1 Qt- Micro balloons
25 yd- 1.5oz CSM
10 YDs- 1078 Biaxial cloth
1 Roll- 1078 x6" tape

Now as far as wax in resin, am I understanding this right? When I do Stringers there is no wax with the 1.5 oiz CSM, but you add wax to the last layer of 1078? Thanks for all the help. I'm open to all ideas, suggestions and criticisms.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

woodonglass, No , there is no leak. looks like about four layers of csm.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure I understand the "Blown Out" comment. It looks iike a terrible cosmetic patch but if it's not leaking then it was effective I'd prolly grind it off and use a layer of CSM and 2 layers of 1708 to make it stronger and neater. I add wax to the last layer no matter what is used. It aids in waterproofing the resin and if you want to do some touch up sanding and fairing.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also noticed a lot of you grind down the whole inside of the hull. Is this necessary or could you just grind in the area you need to work? Just wondering? Thanks. Poppop.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Only need to grind where new glass will be attached

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks woodonglass, I appreciate the time you take to answer my questions. poppop.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome, "poppop51"

Just coming aboard to see this 'ol bass boat get a new lease on life...

That Skeeter has a lot of design features similar to my Glasstream...check my signature for a link to the rebuild and to an Index of my build...

You are moving right along and doing a great job so far...I really like your workshop, by the way...:)

On your question about grinding, WoG is 100% correct about just needing to grind where you are going to attach new glass, but the biggest reason most of us grind everything, is because that way we don't have to keep breaking out the grinder and putting on our PPE, over and over, so basically we give it all a once over and that way you can just keep adding, instead of subtracting...;)

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Gus