clean hull with? primer issue and questions on easypoxy

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys
Fixing to piant my hull and cap but want to know what to wash the hull with. Acetone, dishwashing soap? What do ye all say?

Last edited:

zool

Captain
Re: clean hull with?

Dawn dish soap and water, then wax/grease remover before sanding...

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh she is glass. Thanks for the info may go with the tri sodium phosphate.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, TSP is a great cleaner for Glass boats. Follow the mix directions and WEAR GLOVES and a MASK. When shes dry Sand the big gouges and scratches with 80 grit and then feather out with 180 grit. Wash down with Acetone. Mix a filler for the scratches and gouges using Poly resin a bit of cabosil and glass bubbles. Mix to the consistency of Mayonaise or ketchup and use 1% MEKP. Sand em down again wash down with Acetone and you're ready for primer. Have you decided on the paint system you're gunna use??

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I am leaning at that SM-101 with the 644D primer but not set in stone yet. I have never done any boat painting so its all new. The 2 parts bother me since I have no idea how to do what I am doing, and they appear to be very toxic. What i do have is a mess, the gelcoat is down to the flake on about 90% of the boat.

Also when doing carpet how clean is clean enough. I just finished cleaning the glue I think, Man I don't want to have to do that for a few more years.

zool

Captain

The catalyst/hardener part is the most toxic, and proper respiration is crucial, but its a necessary evil to get good, long lasting results.

If you're willing to use the proper equiptment, we can gladly walk you thru the process...

If you have exposed metal flake in the gel, its paint time for the most part.

ps: the tsp that wood recommended is in fact a wax/grease remover, and will do the trick if used properly.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is willing to use proper equipment, if I knew what it was. Seems a good respirator is needed but which one is good? the 30 dollar one or the 200 dollar one that has same filtration on it. I have a west marine right down the road and can get whatever is needed but they can get a bit pricy. I should have it ready to flip by end of day, Or should I go ahead and do the top cap all but finial coat before I flip it to do the bottom. Yes I know pics pics pics. Will post when I get to the primer part.

zool

Captain

As for the respirator, it kinda depends on how your doing it. Are you roll/brushing it? or spraying it?, outside or inside?

If rolling/brushing, the half mask with organic filters (about $30) will do.

If spraying it outside, the full mask with same filters (about $75) will do

If spraying indoors, well, the full mask would be the minimum, but an air fed system is best.

I use this type:

Supplied Fresh Air Respirator Breathing Vinyl Painter's Hood System Sar | eBay

You also need disposable tyvek coverall, gloves, ect.

As far as your method, we really need to know the boat size, make, model, power setup, ect, and of course pics so we can see what you see.. ;)

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay I got the half mask with organic since I am outside and will roll and tip. Now for primer and paint selection.

Boat is a 1995 Ranger R70. Worn down to the metal flake and 17 foot long. Here is a sample of what I got for a finish now. Cracked all the way down to base coat

DSCN0344.jpg

zool

Captain

Ok, cool..Ranger, nice ride...but no eye candy? ;)

Anyway, that metal flake is done. You're going solid color, or 2 tone?...

Paints just a matter of money, low end?, med or high?

Tho you can theoretically roll/tip any paint, some level better than others.

Your gonna need to build a high primer coat, and block it straight, to cover the exposed flake if its poking out of the gel. Is that the original gelcoat, or did someone base/clear it???

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well going to paint it for sure. Was thinking all white base with a black strip. I think it is original, hard to say, but 2 previous owners said they did not recoat it. Now as for paint and primer what is the safest and easiest to work with more focus on safety side. I can sand and sand it is free to do.:lol: Besides paper is the cheapest thing so far.

This is one reason I was looking at super marine topcoat. The SM-1000 says ok for underwater just not full time underwater. Also can get same paint in color and clear if i make a really big mess.:eek:

I was looking closely at the hull and I may be able to save it, or at the most clear coat it again. The bottom of hull is just a silver coat. That should be buffable and has no serious scraps or chips on it. Not as rough as the sides and top cap.

zool

Captain

"Now as for paint and primer what is the safest and easiest to work with more focus on safety side."

I wouldnt be overly concerned about the ISO's when you're rolling outside. You wont be atomizing the paint, so the risk level is way down.

The sm-100 appears to be some sort of epoxyester based paint, which is ok, but I notice that they have an Acrylic Urethane, which would be my choice for a boat. Im using one myself on my project, white with black also. AU comes off very gel coat like when buffed out, is easy to apply, not overly toxic, and is wet sandable without needing a clear. (clear can yellow white in heavy sun)

both work below the water line, and both are middle of the road in pricing.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I could be wrong, but are we sure primer & paint alone will 'fix' (hide?) these gelcoat cracks:
attachment.php

Even when sanded smooth... If paint & primer will cover & hide 'em, I think the cap work on my FireFlite just got a whole heck of a lot easier...

zool

Captain

Hey JB,

After he hits it all with 80/180 grit,most of the smaller scratches will be gone. Any remaining scrapes/gouges will need to be skim coated with a fairing compond, spot primed, and blocked. Then SM has an eching primer that is also a high build primer, which wil seal the entire surface. The trouble with going over flake is he has to walk a fine line between sanding enough, but not exposing too much extra flake. Gel flake chips are larger than automotive flake/glitter, but its doable.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look thru his other threads about this boat

The question was more for his info then mine, but unless I missed it, the fairing step hadn't been listed previously, here. Although, as I understand gelcoat (which ain't much) gelcoat cracking is tough to deal w/ and a bear to try & keep from telegraphing thru new coatings applied over them.

Esp since previously, the gelcoat was described more as CRACKING, not crazing, which tends to be less problematic.

Then add the metal flake already being exposed & rough, sounded like it's already at or past the 'not too much flake exposed' point.

Boat is a 1995 Ranger R70. Worn down to the metal flake and 17 foot long. Here is a sample of what I got for a finish now. Cracked all the way down to base coat

Based on this ^^ and the other 2 or 3 threads w/ discussions about this boat, its metal flake & painting it, it looks & sounds to me like much more is likely needed then through (but not too aggressive (?:confused:?)) sanding, paint prep, primer, paint prep & paint....

But I could be wrong.

I am not doubting your advice about painting or the tips you've posted. Seems to be all good stuff :)

zool

Captain

"The question was more for his info then mine, but unless I missed it, the fairing step hadn't been listed previously, here."

So far, im just fielding his questions, while he decides on a system to use. I think Wood already suggested him making a creamy resin mix to fair the gouges, but any compound for gel will work.

Regardless of how far its gone, aside from regeling it, which he stated he isnt going to do, building it up and painting is his only option.

I wasnt aware he had other threads, but I plan to "pull" all the info and pics from him before he gets rolling ;)

Once the scrapes/cracks/crazing and all that good stuff is corrected, building coats of primer and topcoat, while color sanding between, is his best option, imo

Plus he seems to like to sand for free :faint2:

zool

Captain

"Look thru his other threads about this boat"

Ahh, I see hes already been down this road with you guys. Thats the trouble with starting new threads for similar questions. I asked if it was clear coated and he said he wasnt aware of any recoat.

At worst, he may have to use some cloth patching to repair stress cracks, and hes gonna have to remove the rubrail if he has to chase any cracks, to fix it properly. All the other accessories on the hull have to come off too.

mccoytr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for forgetting about old thread. I reckon I done committed a sin. Forgive me.

I was looking at the cracks and they go from outer layer, through red flake and Black and looks to stop there. I don't see any fiberglass showing (looking through a magnifying glass. the black under the red appears to be sound.

So can I just us a faring compound or epoxy mix to level it before primer? 80 grit sounds very course, can I just use say 120 to try to save what little gel is left?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just makes it difficult to make sure all the info has continuity, so you'll get the best (and thorough) advice, and keep from mixing types of repairs. Like using epoxy to repair the fiberglass, and trying to apply gelcoat after, not impossible, but extremely difficult to do w/ lasting results. Trying to make sure your efforts last more then a season and give you a great looking result too....

And of course it helps those that come after us. Just like in the other thread I posted the other 'metal flake gelcoat' links from other threads.

You'll want to make sure you have enough tooth sanded in to the gelcoat, so your primer will adhere really well & not peel like the clear coat you described as peeling elsewhere. Not having the already looks like it has clear coat details here, you might have gotten poor advice about how to proceed on an already 'painted boat'.

Unless I am not remembering correctly, it DOES look like it's had clear coat applied previously? Correct?

Zool will be back to help you with the details of how he's suggesting to resolve the cracks & primer/paint. WOG will be of great help too, but he may be otherwise detained for a few days... Oklahoma's weather has given them a whopping again..........