redecking pontoon

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know that there are a lot of pontoon owners here and though I would ask ya'lls opinion. I need to redeck a pontoon that I bought yesterday. What is the difference between marine plywood and pressure treated plywood? This toon will set on a trailer in garage when not in use, but will be in water for 2-3 days when used on weekend and overnite trips. Can pressure treated be used instead of marine? I plan on putting 2-3 coates of sealer then paint on deck before recarpeting. I want to do what ever will be longest lasting. All thoughts are wecome. <br />Thanks<br />Michael

BillP

Captain
Re: redecking pontoon

baitkiller,<br />Most pontoon boat mfgs use pt ply or composite decking. The underside of the deck gets wet every time you use the boat. Sealing untreated ply from water intrusion in this application is near impossible. My 1996 MonArk has 3/4" pt ply decking and it is still perfect.

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bill, I have been checking into ply rating, and according to ply Ind. PT ply is bettyer except for the presence of Voids in layers. Pricing around here I can get 30 year water contact for about 40,00 a sheet 3/4x4'x8', while Marine ply the same size is 60 - 70 a sheet. I think that I can use PT and put 3-4 coates water sealer/repellant and have a good solid deck that will last for a while. Thanks for your input. How did you guys make out during storm? Pics on TV look bad. I have some friends in FT. Meyers but have not been able to get in touch with them.

BillP

Captain

PT ply quality is a LOT better than it used to be. I don't think voids are a serious issue on a job like this compared to pt ply of years past. The last 6-7 sheets of 3/4" pt ply I cut up had very small voids in them (1/2" wide max). <br /><br />It wouldn't hurt but I don't think you need to coat pt ply with anything...mine isn't and it is 8 yrs old. The topside has carpet on it but the bottom is bare. Look at other pontoon boats and they aren't coated either. The only boats I see that need new decking are ones that use non treated ply. Coating and glassing isn't as foolproof as pt processes.<br /><br />I'm on the east coast and the storm's eye was approx 70 miles from us. I took our pontoon boat off the boat lift and tucked it into the trees on a trailer. Then installed storm shutters on the house. We got winds around 45 mph and nothing happened. I'm leaving the shutters up and boat on trailer until the next group of storms go by. Ft.Meyers got clobbered and local reports say no electricity for a few weeks in some areas. Even Orlando is reporting 500 traffic lights not working until elec is restored. It was bad but not like Andrew did in Miami. You had to be there to believe it.

twitch

Recruit

baitkiller <br /> read the spec sheet at the lumberyard about the new pt wood products. The new stuff as of 01/04 or so recomends not using aluminum flashing etc. in direct contact with pt products.<br />Something about the new copper formula eating aluminum.

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for heads up RHarper I will check into that, do not want any problems like that. BillP, glad you guys did not get to much. Thanks for info.<br />Michael

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know about contact with aluminum. I do have a friend in the industry who tells me that using anything but ss fasteners in the new formula is not suggested, the non ss fasteners will quickly deteriorate.<br /><br /><br />Seems like BassPro used to sell a plywood with a pretty good guarantee for that app.

thejeepster02

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have also heard about the P/T eating up alum.<br /><br />But a new one on me....I was told fiberglass rosin wont stick to treated wood. <br />CAN ANY ONE CONFIRM THIS ONE??

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all. I have heard that there are some new composites on the market that some toon builders are using that is about the same price as the marine ply.I like the idea of never having to replace decking again. Do's anyone know about these? I started stripping toon yesterday. Got top, crib, seats, and console off. Started on carpet. I did find water in both toons. This is a 1972, 17' MonArk, with oval toons that are foam filled, once I get toon stripped to frame I have to find out how water got in. Any suggestions? Also, I am thinking about taking toons to local boat yard and have them instal some sort of drain plug in each toon. Any thoughts on this?

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought...<br /><br />Have you looked into any of the synthetic materials that they are using to build patios and decks? Some of the stuff is made entirely of plastic, looks and cuts like wood and you can get it in different dimensions like 1"x4, 1"x6", 1x8" etc... - who knows maybe they even make a full synthetic sheet?<br /><br />I'm sure it's more expensive than wood, but if it will never rot, warp or mildew it might be money well spent.<br /><br />Again, just a thought...

BillP

Captain

I checked into composite decking for boats a while back and the price was way more than any type ply. Prices were $250-$500 a sheet. I'm sure there are cheaper ones available but I didn't find them. PT marine plywood from Greenwood Products was about $100 a sheet though my local lumber company...and that was high due to it being a one time special order for 6 sheets.