Rebedding where 3m and sika products are not available

rcarduino

Cadet
Hi,
I have a new to me boat in Dubai where I am not able to source the usually recommended bedding and sealing products.

The boat is 12 years old and I know that my through hulls, transom cover and engine bolts need to be resealed - the seals have visibly perished.

Local boat yards have recommended silicon or this - http://www.fixtech.com.au/images/TDS-FIXSEALMSP15.pdf

Does anyone have any experience of this product as a 4200 alternative for rebedding bungs, transponders etc.

Thanks

RCArduino

rcarduino

Cadet
Re: Rebedding where 3m and sika products are not available

Hi,

I will be refitting the engine on Thursday so would appreciate any suggestions on suitable sealants, can I use generic Polyurethane or Polysulfides from the construction industry if the MSP15 is not suitable ?

Thanks

rcarduino

rcarduino

Cadet

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I also got a reply from the manufacturer -

For the transponder there should be no problem, Fix15 is suited to above and below water applications and will continue to cure even when immersed in water.

I will assume that this means I can use it to rebed the transom cover, bung and the engine mounting bolts as well.

I will have one last try at finding 4200 on the way home this evening and if that fails I will be using the MSP to refit the engine tomorrow.

Thanks

Duane (rcarduino)

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty much any waterproof construction grade adhesive will work to seal around bolts,mounts and drains which is what I think you are saying in the first post. You need it to seal out the water and keep the piece from coming loose, I used loctite 4200 which is the permeates company's version of 3m 4200.

rcarduino

Cadet

Hi,
4200 is what I really wanted to use but have been unable to find in Dubai. I will go ahead with the fixtech MSP15, I also picked up some of the structural formula (190) today which I am assuming is equivalent to 5200.

I will test the structural formula on some spare material, if its not too aggressive I will use it to mount some plastic board for my transponder and pitot.

Thanks

Duane.