Islander Transom finish,varnish or paint? Or urethane ?

Hi. I am replacing the transom on my 1988 Starcraft islander 221. I have the transom cut out,laminated together and 2 coats of epoxy on and I had planed to finish with 6 coats of spar varnish,however I'm not sure if I should use the spar varnish or a spar urethane or just rustoleum paint. I have plenty of epoxy left and I would apply another coat if needed,any suggestions would be great. I hope to post some pics as soon as I figure out how. Thanks.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Islander Transom finish,varnish or paint? Or urethane ?

I personally would put 2 more coats of epoxy on and then paint it with 2 or 3 coats of an oil based enamel.

It should fossilize nicely after installation and a team of archeologists will find it 1000 years from now and wonder how it was preserved so well.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I/O Islander or OB?

Aluminum hull, correct?

If I/O, paint, either spar, or other finish that suits you. The epoxy has sealed the wood. The more coats of anything now all the better. The epoxy coated transom is protected from UV by being below other structure at the stern.

On an OB transom, it's exposed to UV, so it NEEDS to be covered. Use which ever product matches how you'll finish the rest of the interior. On some rigs an exposed wooden transom (final finish in spar) makes the interior really pop, on others it would look better painted to match the rest of the interior accents.

If you didn't coat all the edges when you applied the epoxy to each side (if sides are 2coats, edges would be 4), and you will still be able to get the transom to fit (on an OB there's a small 'shelf' that the transom slides down onto to support it at the bottom, on an I/O you need to make sure you don't miss the 2 1/8" targeted final transom thickness at the keyhole) and not be too tight of a fit, I'd probably coat the edges both times when you coat each side again.

When you cut the keyhole (on an I/O) make sure to treat it's edges w/ more coats then you did the edges of the transom.

Thanks for the great advise,I should have pointed out its an I/O and the transom is not exposed. I made an interior door years back for this boat and coated it with helmsman spar varnish and it needed to be refinished after only a few years and that is why I was hesitating to use it on the transom.the appearance is not a factor longevity is.I will coat again with epoxy and the edges as much as I can and still make it fit as well as the edges when I cut out the opening for the out drive. I painted a utility trailer 10 years back with rustoleum and it still looks great I just am not sure if I should use it on the transom. Thanks.And yes it is aluminum .

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I suggest AwlGrip :) ... IMHO there is Nothing better.

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd use a white oil base paint, if only to reflect more light during inspections and to show any mold, mildew, oil leaks/spatters and any other unsavory conditions... white also looks nice and clean.