Repair of ABS plastic boat

newmaster

Recruit
I have an old two man bass boat, an Outlaw, which has several cracks in the floor. I have looked for a good way to repair these cracks but not found any suggestions. Because of the way I use this boat appearence is not a factor. One is a particular problem because it is right at one of the corners. Water inside the hull of the boat is a problem because there is no drain.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Repair of ABS plastic boat

You better get them fixed or they'll end up like the Sooner defense, once they expose a crack, everone comes flooding on thru!! <br /><br />Go Huskers!! :cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check with a Chevrolet dealer that has a body shop or a Saturn dealer. The body panels used on the old Lumina APV vans and saturns use plastic body panels. There is a way to "weld" and repair them. <br /><br />At least it will be a good place to start.<br /><br />Bob

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maybe better yet, call ocean kayak, or perception kayak. they make sit-on-top kayaks from roto-molded plastic. they can probably tell you how to make a repair.

Cut n' Jump

Seaman

Is it like a Buster boat? When that plastic gets old it gets brittle. The urethane glue used on body panel repair isn't gonna stop new cracks. I'd get a gallon of epoxy and smear it over some fiberglass CLOTH. Don't use matting use some fine woven cloth. Just cover the whole thing with a layer of epoxy and cloth then it'll be better than new without adding much weight.

newmaster

Recruit

Originally posted by Quantumleap:<br /> You better get them fixed or they'll end up like the Sooner defense, once they expose a crack, everone comes flooding on thru!! <br /><br />Go Huskers!! :cool:
It looks like your team will be in Norman this year. I think that the OU Nebraska rivalry is one of the best, and like the Nebraska fans. Lincoln is a rather inhospitable winter venue, but you guys can't do anything about the weather! <br /><br />Do you have any advice as to the best way to fix my boat?

herters

Cadet

any collision repair shop that is up to date on equipment will have a plastic welder. I use one all the time for bumper repair on todays cars<br />John

newmaster

Recruit

Thank you bob and cut n' jump. The Chevrolet dealer sends all their body stuff out so I am making some calls to the body shops they use. Yes, it is like a bass buster boat. It has had a lot of exposure to the sun and the top half has become very brittle. If I can't find someone with a plastic welder, the fiber glass repair sounds like something I might be able to do myself. Thanks to all for the input

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I thought I saw a plastic repair kit through Eastwood or JC whitney or something like that. The key is getting it to seal up properly.<br /><br />I'll probably be eating my hat come Nov. in Norman! Stoops has done a remarkable job in turning that program around and the addition of Pelini will only make them better. I'm hoping for similar results with the new Callahan staff. Talk about having your whole world turned upside down. I'v been a fan since I could talk and it was like losing a family member seeing all the Husker tradition go out the window, but I'll admit something had to be done. You can't be that predictable anymore. Good luck on you plastic repair, Let us know how it turns out.

nigelbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have one of those boats. I used an epoxy to repair the bottom of it about 3 years ago and it hasn't leaked since.

harbormaster

Recruit

I repaired a Bass Hunter plastic boat that had a crack on the hull located on a curve and at a groove. It worked very well and was very easy. I called the company and ordered their repair kit for $15 or so. The number is 800-345-4689 or go to basshunter.com. Hope this helps everyone.

I have a question. Has anyone filled this type of boat with foam insulation? Did it work? Thanks for any help.

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I repaired a Mohawk canoe made from ABS using West System epoxy and
fiberglass cloth. This repair came out well. The West System web site describes
the process.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/molded-plastic-boat-repairs/.
I finished the process with Krylon Fusion. It's not the most durable finish but
it got the boat back to all one color. Touch up is easy and cheap.
Good luck, GH
http://www.urethanesupply.com/ Good site for plastic repair products.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

the process.
Good luck, GH

WOW, anyone look at dates???? prior to 1 post Jan of this year the thread was from 2004

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replied to a post dated 10/21/09. There might be someone out there now working on an ABS boat who could use the information in this thread. I wonder
why my post was quoted. I wonder why you replied at all when you had nothing to contribute.GH

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

the process.
Good luck, GH

The West System link is the correct process to prepair plastic, but they have released a new product called G Flex that would be better than 105 resin in this application.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I replied to a post dated 10/21/09. There might be someone out there now working on an ABS boat who could use the information in this thread. I wonder
why my post was quoted. I wonder why you replied at all when you had nothing to contribute.GH

Your right my apologies if If I offended, I wasn't trying to be nasty.
I thought maybe the date of the thread wasn't realized for it was over 5 years ago. Were all here to help eachother.
You actually reinforced in your own words of course, what nigelbear said back in august of 04
I actually Just re-read the last posts, and I believe harbormaster was posting his 1st post ever on Iboats stating he already made the ABS repair & asking a question about Foam in this type of boat.

So Here is my contribution

So with all that said, harbormaster you shoud probably start a new thread of your own asking the question if you haven't already. I don't see why it wouldn't work using a 2 part closed cell foam or cutting up foam board from HD or Lowes like I know some have done.
Did the boat have foam before or are you looking for flotation if swamped, sound attenuation, Just curious

jmzhbz

Recruit

I hate to revive an old post but I am having this same problem with a Sun Dolphin Bass Boat I have had for several years now. My 10 yr old son is really into fishing and cleaned out the barn to get to my old Dolphin. Now he wants to get her floating again and use her on some small ponds we frequent.

Upon inspection I found the floor is cracked on the upper hull section. The lower hull seems to be intact. (It is a two piece molded plastic boat.)

I was thinking of cutting a piece of plywood to fit the floor and screwing it thru the top hull, which has the floor, into the piece of plywood that is in the center that acts as a stringer. Kinda like a really large sandwich patch. Siliconing around edges of course then covering the plywood that is exposed with I/O carpet.. Unlike the before mentioned boat, this one does have a drain plug in the hull so any water it takes on can be drained.

Anyone ever tried this before?? I hate to let him down.

Thanks,
James

Last edited:

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1974 Apache camper. It is a hard sided pop up with ABS walls and roof. I have extensive knowledge of ABS repairs.:D...Forget plastic welders, epoxys, glues, or anything that will shoot out of a caulk gun...The best way to fix it is to solvent weld the cracks using ABS/MEK goo. I buy ABS pellets from Apache Sales Corp, or if you can come up with a ABS source, you can cut it in small pieces. Anyway, take your ABS pellets/scraps and put them in a jar with MEK. The ABS will melt overnight into a goo. If it is too thick add a little more MEK. If it is too thin, leave the lid off the jar a bit and some MEk will evaporate. Next, put some MEK on a rag and rub your crack to soften the material. Paint the goo on with a 1" paint brush. Let it dry a few minutes and put on another coat, followed by another. It is best to put some fiberglass cloth in the middle of the coats. It will dry rock hard in a few hours. After a day or two, you need to paint the repair to protect it from UV rays.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now that's cool. I have no knowledge on the subject, but as I read thru the posts, I was thinkin maybe you could lay a piece of plastic or some pellets over the crack and melt it down with a heat gun or torch and spread it around. MEK would be way better. Now you have the plastic with a solvent as a vehicle, just like the water in latex/water base paint and solvent in oil/alkyd paints. Same principle, the solvent keeps the coating liquified until you can put it where you want it, then evaporates, leaving the solids behind. You just made plastic paint.:D