• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Repair of ABS plastic boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair of ABS plastic boat

I have an old two man bass boat, an Outlaw, which has several cracks in the floor. I have looked for a good way to repair these cracks but not found any suggestions. Because of the way I use this boat appearence is not a factor. One is a particular problem because it is right at one of the corners. Water inside the hull of the boat is a problem because there is no drain.

Re: Repair of ABS plastic boat

You better get them fixed or they'll end up like the Sooner defense, once they expose a crack, everone comes flooding on thru!! Go Huskers!!

Comment

Check with a Chevrolet dealer that has a body shop or a Saturn dealer. The body panels used on the old Lumina APV vans and saturns use plastic body panels. There is a way to "weld" and repair them. At least it will be a good place to start.Bob
      This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
      Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

maybe better yet, call ocean kayak, or perception kayak. they make sit-on-top kayaks from roto-molded plastic. they can probably tell you how to make a repair.

Comment

Is it like a Buster boat? When that plastic gets old it gets brittle. The urethane glue used on body panel repair isn't gonna stop new cracks. I'd get a gallon of epoxy and smear it over some fiberglass CLOTH. Don't use matting use some fine woven cloth. Just cover the whole thing with a layer of epoxy and cloth then it'll be better than new without adding much weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumleap: You better get them fixed or they'll end up like the Sooner defense, once they expose a crack, everone comes flooding on thru!! Go Huskers!!
            It looks like your team will be in Norman this year. I think that the OU Nebraska rivalry is one of the best, and like the Nebraska fans. Lincoln is a rather inhospitable winter venue, but you guys can't do anything about the weather! Do you have any advice as to the best way to fix my boat?

Comment

any collision repair shop that is up to date on equipment will have a plastic welder. I use one all the time for bumper repair on todays carsJohn

Comment

Thank you bob and cut n' jump. The Chevrolet dealer sends all their body stuff out so I am making some calls to the body shops they use. Yes, it is like a bass buster boat. It has had a lot of exposure to the sun and the top half has become very brittle. If I can't find someone with a plastic welder, the fiber glass repair sounds like something I might be able to do myself. Thanks to all for the input

Comment

I thought I saw a plastic repair kit through Eastwood or JC whitney or something like that. The key is getting it to seal up properly.I'll probably be eating my hat come Nov. in Norman! Stoops has done a remarkable job in turning that program around and the addition of Pelini will only make them better. I'm hoping for similar results with the new Callahan staff. Talk about having your whole world turned upside down. I'v been a fan since I could talk and it was like losing a family member seeing all the Husker tradition go out the window, but I'll admit something had to be done. You can't be that predictable anymore. Good luck on you plastic repair, Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

I have one of those boats. I used an epoxy to repair the bottom of it about 3 years ago and it hasn't leaked since.

Comment

I don't know if you're still working on this project, but Harbor Freight sells plastic welding kits.

-BWR

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...d=plastic+weld

Comment

I repaired a Bass Hunter plastic boat that had a crack on the hull located on a curve and at a groove. It worked very well and was very easy. I called the company and ordered their repair kit for $15 or so. The number is 800-345-4689 or go to basshunter.com. Hope this helps everyone.

I have a question. Has anyone filled this type of boat with foam insulation? Did it work? Thanks for any help.

Comment

I repaired a Mohawk canoe made from ABS using West System epoxy and
                          fiberglass cloth. This repair came out well. The West System web site describes
                          the process.
                          http://www.westsystem.com/ss/molded-...-boat-repairs/.
                          I finished the process with Krylon Fusion. It's not the most durable finish but
                          it got the boat back to all one color. Touch up is easy and cheap.
                          Good luck, GH
                          http://www.urethanesupply.com/ Good site for plastic repair products.

Comment

Originally posted by ghamby View Post
                            I repaired a Mohawk canoe made from ABS using West System epoxy and
                            fiberglass cloth. This repair came out well. The West System web site describes
                            the process.
                            http://www.westsystem.com/ss/molded-...-boat-repairs/.
                            I finished the process with Krylon Fusion. It's not the most durable finish but
                            it got the boat back to all one color. Touch up is easy and cheap.
                            Good luck, GH
                            http://www.urethanesupply.com/ Good site for plastic repair products.
                            WOW, anyone look at dates???? prior to 1 post Jan of this year the thread was from 2004
                            Bill

"I'm not young enough to know everything"

My Project
                            1973 21' Cruiser Restore

The Resurrection of the SeaGem

The Hijack Zone - Zombies Welcome

Comment

I replied to a post dated 10/21/09. There might be someone out there now working on an ABS boat who could use the information in this thread. I wonder
                              why my post was quoted. I wonder why you replied at all when you had nothing to contribute.GH

Comment

Working...
                              X