Respirator needed with Enamel paint hardener???????

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Obvioulsy if you are spraying......

But what about just brushing or rolling on my aluminum hull?

zool

Captain
Re: Respirator needed with Enamel paint hardener???????

I would wear it just opening the can.....its a silent killer.....but ive seen ppl spray it with just a dust mask....better safe thn sorry imo

briangcc

Commander

Depends on a number of factors...what enamel you're actually using, where you're applying it, etc. For me, I'd be wearing one.

I was spraying Krylon last fall to touch up my trailer. I was outside with a slight breeze. My dad was on the opposite side of the trailer prepping that side for touchups. The boat was on the trailer at this point, and he was getting the effects from the paint after I sprayed (1) upright on my guideposts. I couldn't smell a thing as I had a respirator on. I gave him my spare and we were able to complete the repairs with little fan fare.

**I painted for a number of years without one (including basecoat/clearcoat on cars) and once I started using one, I will not go back to not wearing one when painting.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I just got done using this a few weeks ago…….the stuff smells when you open the can.

As Zool pointed out …Better safe that sorry!

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So would it just be a genearl 3m respirator for paints? Or is the hardener someting else?

zool

Captain

When it comes to ISO's, thats a debated subject. For liabilty reasons, the manufacturers state that even the organic filtered masks wont protect fully, but off the record, they kinda do.

for brush/rolling, you're not atomizing the mixture, so its not as bad. For spraying, an air fed system is the way to go, especially indoors.

Just remember, its cyanide youre dealing with.

Ive used a paint grade 3m organic filtered mask, for non spraying......if you can smell it, you're not protected is a guideline.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do you plan to spray indoors or outdoors?

Indoors, I'd get the best respirator I could. Outdoors I might just go for a paint respirator.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ouside..i have a lean to attached to my barn...open ends north and south

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

My 2 cents:

If you're not spraying the paint won't atomize and the health risks are far less. I'm planning on rolling my boat and using Rustoleum with hardener. I'll use a mask from the time I open the can until I'm done.

If you're spraying I'd use a Hobby Air fresh air supply or similar.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use this one with the best filters. Less than $100 bucks online. Works great for Grinding too!!! Rolling is not as bad as spraying by a LONG shot but why take a chance. But hey I'm an old fart so what do I know.
FullFaceRespirator.jpg