1994 19' Caravelle- The latest sucker!

Deniz Y

Recruit
Hi all!

I guess I'm the latest victim of a nice looking "soft boat". I don't have much boat experience but pretty handy. I restore classic mini coopers and build cafe bikes, so I said what the heck. I bought this nice looking Caravelle. I went around it, didn?t see any water damage looked dirty but straight. It was priced right so I thought...needed an engine, but ready to go. So I grab a nice 05' mpi 5.0 for it and send it to the local shop for a quick install. I was being lazy working a lot of OT so I said what the heck let the experts drop it in so the wife and kids can hit the water. Then I get the call saying we need to talk....so I'm like what?s wrong? He goes on and informs me it has some soft spots that need to be looked at. So here starts the fun. He said the mounts had some soft spots which I didn?t see. He's like I have a shop down the street that can pop some new ones in....again...what the heck let them pop some new ones in and lets roll. The next guy calls...So I'm like- okay here we go! It need both motor mounts and the stringers are soft. So they start check them and they continue forward trying to find good wood...I know everyone here is getting a tickle now. Yes they go all the way up to the seats and the deck is shot too. Ha-ha! This must be a joke right....he did say that the transom was okay but since the rest need to be changed ...do it all! Me not knowing what kind of effort it is to change all the listed issues I asked how much? He said 3600?.I coughed and said how much? 3600?Wow! The whole time -the wife is sitting there asking did we buy lemon? Me being the proud guy said no baby! Now I have too much in it to dump it but don?t want to drop 3600 in a boat that?s worth 6000 to 8000 at best. And I can't let the wife know I was dooped!!

So here I am?.been doing a lot of reading and watching vids?very informative stuff on this site. You guys have done a great job for the DIY guys I do have a few questions to start?. Since the boat is mostly gutted by the shop and the wood trashed how should I do the engine mounts? It there a preferred design? And I don?t have the stringers as well? I guess use the pink foam and carve away to make a template? Where is the best place to get the fiberglass supplies? I'll start posting some pics when I drag my lovely boat home...

Thanks
Deniz

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 1994 19' Caravelle- The latest sucker!

Deniz-

Welcome to iBoats . . . you have come to the right place for restoration advice.

Lots of folks here use US Composites for their supplies. I have also used fiberglasssite

It is best to get the boat home and start going through things. Plan on a couple of months to rebuild, depending on how much time you can give to it. You can use the location of the floor to where it meets the side of the hull as a reference point to make a template for the stingers and bulkheads.

Check the various restoration threads to see how others have traveled the road that you are now on. As for what to tell the wife and kids . . . that you may have to figure out yourself (sorry)

Deniz Y

Recruit

IMG_1589.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1591.jpg Pictures from when I went to get it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Boat looks pretty sweet, and if you weren't an iboats member before you bought it there's not much reason for you to think it was a rotter... but had you been an iboats member before you bought it you'd have checked some things that would've tipped you of to the rot.

Others here have done worse, consider this a "Lifes Lesson".

Tell your wife it was impossible to know without the proper education.

tpenfield

Staff member

I'd check and verify the supposed rot . . . post some pictures of the boats innerds when you can.

You can drill a few core samples in the stringers and engine mounts, etc. Then you will see if you have dry wood, wet wood, or rotted wood.

when I was rebuilding the engine on my boat, I found that the bulkhead had rotted and spread into the stringers. It had not gone too far, so I was able to do a 'repair' rather than a 'rebuild' on the structure. Check out my "Formula 242 web site" via the link in my signature, if you want to see what I went through.