The best way to remove clear coat from gel

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a Baja Force 235 recently and it has some painted graphics on top of the gel on the sides with clear coat on top of that. I want to repaint the graphics and re-coat with clear. <br /><br />What is the best method for removing the clear coat without damaging the gel, seeing as the gel is in nearly perfect condition.<br /><br />Only thing I can come up with is to use a straight edge razor and be darn careful.

Realgun

Commander
Re: The best way to remove clear coat from gel

Are the graphics just put on the boat?<br />If they are just on the boat a good heatgun should help you remove them.<br />If they are clearcoated with paint then you might need to sand them off but use 220 or 400 and very light pressure.<br />Hope this helps.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Acetone won't hurt the gelcoat. It will, however, cut the wax off of it.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

LubeDude

Admiral

I have used non toxic paint removers in the past, but you cant leave them on long, do a small area at a time. Maybe a square foot or so. It will take the clear off very quickly and then wipe with paint thinner. (Enamel). Do a very small area to test. If you try this, I assume no responsability because I am not there to supervise.

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The graphics are painted with automotive paint and then have an automotive clear coat sprayed over it about an inch past the graphics. Thought about using a paint remover but I know I will need to be darn carefull.

Bondo

Staff member

If they are clearcoated with paint then you might need to sand them off but use 220 or 400 and very light pressure.