• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

The best way to remove clear coat from gel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to remove clear coat from gel

Bought a Baja Force 235 recently and it has some painted graphics on top of the gel on the sides with clear coat on top of that. I want to repaint the graphics and re-coat with clear. What is the best method for removing the clear coat without damaging the gel, seeing as the gel is in nearly perfect condition.Only thing I can come up with is to use a straight edge razor and be darn careful.

Re: The best way to remove clear coat from gel

Are the graphics just put on the boat?If they are just on the boat a good heatgun should help you remove them.If they are clearcoated with paint then you might need to sand them off but use 220 or 400 and very light pressure.Hope this helps.

Comment

Acetone won't hurt the gelcoat. It will, however, cut the wax off of it.c/6Hooty

Comment

I have used non toxic paint removers in the past, but you cant leave them on long, do a small area at a time. Maybe a square foot or so. It will take the clear off very quickly and then wipe with paint thinner. (Enamel). Do a very small area to test. If you try this, I assume no responsability because I am not there to supervise.

Comment

The graphics are painted with automotive paint and then have an automotive clear coat sprayed over it about an inch past the graphics. Thought about using a paint remover but I know I will need to be darn carefull.

Comment

If they are clearcoated with paint then you might need to sand them off but use 220 or 400 and very light pressure.
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Working...
            X