How hard is it to change the color of a fiberglass ski boat?

punkyBOATER

Cadet
I am thinking about buying a Biesemeyer Daycruiser from a friend of mine. The boat is in fair condition and has a monster of a driveline. V drive with a chevy 427! It is colored the ever so popular 70's Brown on white =(. I was wondering what it would take money wise or work wise to get the thing re-gel coated or whatever i can do to chage the color. My money tree is rather small so anything i can do to save a few bucks im willing to do. If i buy this boat i plan to keep it awhile so i want it to look good and hold up over time. I also would like to do some patterns in the new paint/gel coat so im wondering if this takes the price way up rather then going with a solid color and also how much of this can i do in my driveway? If its not a good idea for me to attempt this myself im located in southern Ca, maybe someone can recomend some professionals who specialize in this feild that wont completly drain my bank account. Thanks in advance for all advice givin, it is much appreciated!

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How hard is it to change the color of a fiberglass ski boat?

Originally posted by PUNKYboater:<br /> I also would like to do some patterns in the new paint/gel coat so im wondering if this takes the price way up rather then going with a solid color and also how much of this can i do in my driveway?
Sounds like you're wanting about a $3,500-5,000<br />paintjob.

punkyBOATER

Cadet

Ouch, i heard from some people that u can use some special kind of paint, is this true? I also herad it doesnt look as good and wont last as long as a gel coat. any comments?

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are paints on the market that some find more desirable than gel coat. They are not inexpensive but you can apply them yourself, even in a driveway. You could also do the gel coating yourself, but I certainly would not recommend it. Painting is much much easier, generally no more expensive, and if you use the best of paints it will last as long as gel coat. Some of the super paints have something else going for them, you never have to wax them.<br /><br />All that said I have to tell you this in all of its blunt honesty, if you had to ask the question its not very likely that you could do the work. Well, that's not true, but this is, you are going to have to learn a whole lot more about gel coats and painting techniques and materials than you know now before you even begin to decide which way you want to go, or if you would be better off by farming the work out.<br /><br />Whoops ... I just saw the bottom of your post. Forget it, the boat isn't worth the cost of refinishing. It was the Force engine that was the giveaway.<br /><br />Thom

73psd

Seaman Apprentice

PUNKYboater<br />Can you post your issues with your Bayliner and Force powered boat?<br />Sorry to post here but could not find your email.<br /><br />M

Realgun

Commander

I 2nd that 73psd. The force engine might be a little over rated and an older design but it seems that if kept up they work just fine.<br />Bayliners are bult pretty poorly however the hull portion is built like a rock. It the seating and floor they scrimpt on and if they had done a better kob we would all be buying them. :) <br />I sohuld know I an trying to tear the stuff out and it is not easy. :) <br /><br />Therefore I am fixing the force engine.(It works fine just replacing the gaskets and such that are needed on all engines that are 16 years old)<br />I am replacing the floor and seats correctly.<br /><br />It should last another 16 years.<br /><br />The funny thing is it cost me 1000 dollars to purchase and about 2500 more to fix up. I can sell it here for about 4000.

punkyBOATER

Cadet

Okay the gel Coat and paint questions were for a day cruiser i am in the middle of purchasing. Its a great boat with a monster drive line...v drive with a 427 chevy....its just a very ugly brown. As for the Bayliner, im selling it and theres nothing wrong with it. It was kept in the desert so the thing is solid inside and out and the interior is nice as well. I do however have some rough starting problems with it which are discussed in further detail under the force engine part of this forum. Thanks for the advice on the paints and what not. I also understand about your comment about if you have to ask then you prob cant do it, but as i like to say, everyone has to start somewhere and i have a handful of friends who are fairly talented in this area but i was just trying to learn as much as possible on my own. P.S. i think someone was looking for my email and it is punkxcasanova@yahoo.com

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Punky, I had my 16' speedboat painted by a local autobody shop. They had much experience in boat painting and used Awlgrip paint. I prepared the hull for painting by stripping off hardware, filling gouges with marine putty and wet sanding entire hull to 400 grit. Then they sprayed it with primer and paint for $400. It was a good job.

punkyBOATER

Cadet

Awesome thanks! Are they by chance located in southern CA?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, the autobody place that did my painting is in Bayville NJ. I would check out painting places near the water, in your area. As they say "Necessity is the mother of invention".

Bondo

Staff member

If you're Not Comfortable Painting your Car,<br />Don't Even Think about Painting your Boat...........<br />It's Pretty much the Same.......