1981 18ft starcraft supersport

64osby

Admiral
There is one happy looking guy up above with a great looking floor. Nice work.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Started drilling out some of the leaking rivets and screws. I will post pics later.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
As I am sitting here watching some playoff hockey I can stop thinking about all the work that still needs done. The list is, 3 more coats of epoxy on the floor, vinyl the floor pieces, finish drilling out leaking rivets, replacing leaking rivets, gluvit each rivet below the water line, cut new foam, install new foam, install floor, vinyl consoles, put consoles back together, install consoles, install front bow storage area, in stall gas tank, install interior carpeted sides, install seats, clean or replace spark plugs, change lower gear lube. So much to do!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's quite the to do list and it really does help to make a check list of sorts for the finishing work and touches. So 3 more epoxy coats? You know it reaches a point where the epoxy is just building up on itself and that stuff is expensive!

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am putting two coats on each side, and the edges are getting a coat each time so the edges are getting 4 coats.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
The previous owner had the rivets gooped Up So It did not Look good. I drilled them out and sanded the area around the hole.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it a good idea to put 5200 in the rivet holes for when I secure the floor to the supports? I'm thinking that it would be tuff to get the rivets out if I ever need to if I use 5200.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you need to remove the rivers later, you'll have to drill them anyway.

If it makes you more comfortable, you could use 4200 instead of 5200. Not listed as PERMANENT like 5200 is.

I'd dip the rivet in the 4200/5200 or shot a litte in the hole before dropping the rivet into place.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
The epoxy on the wood feels greasy. Do I need to clean that off before I put the contact cement on? If so what should I use?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Never heard anyone describe epoxy as greasy, waxy maybe..... Can you post a pix of it? Are you sure waxy isn't more accurate, the amine blush that develops when blushing epoxy cures.

zool

Captain
The epoxy on the wood feels greasy. Do I need to clean that off before I put the contact cement on? If so what should I use?

water....then denatured alcohol or wax/grease remover for insurance.

Just make sure its not uncured resin...if your fingernail can indent it, its not cured.....then prolly a mix inaccuracy

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes waxy would be a better description. The epoxy is rock hard. Still have a couple coats to put on before the vinyl goes on.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thats amine blush. It needs to be washed, scuffed and cleaned before next coat of epoxy

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made some great progress today! Second to last coat on the floor pieces, replaced all leaking rivets, and wrapped one of my consoles.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ordered on of these for the port side. I would love to put for pedistal seats in but having a young family this would be better.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good on the progress, it's too bad your SS thread is here buried in a sea of rotten glassers and forgotten threads of itchy rashes. :lol:

Good choice on the helm seats, not sure I would like having a head knocker seat on the starboard side at all. Just be sure you check the ratings out on the pedestal choice so they are rated for AD helm use. :encouragement: