1996 southern skimmer deck/foam/stringer rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 southern skimmer deck/foam/stringer rebuild

I did a bit of researchin on these style of boats. Shoulda done this in the first place instead of flappin my jaws without really knowin!!!!:facepalm: Based on what I found they're a lot like "Whalers" and soooo...I'd put her back like she was designed. Plug the PO's Drain Hole and Make her a Self draining deck with scuppers. But again, it's your boat and you're free to do with her as you see fit.

Last edited:

joebarnes

Cadet

The last stringer is glassed! Thank you for the bracing suggestion. And for the input on the drain plug. I am going to remove it. I just hope I can get the out side patched well enough and smooth again. I'm not too worried about appearances on this thing any way, the boat is going to be used for hunting and fishing. But now on to glassing in my cross sections.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 5

joebarnes

Cadet

The bulkheads and the chase tube are in. I am planning on glassing in extra pieces that go all the way to the side of the hull. The boat did not originally have them but I feel like it would add to the structural support. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 4

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

The bulkheads and the chase tube are in. I am planning on glassing in extra pieces that go all the way to the side of the hull. The boat did not originally have them but I feel like it would add to the structural support. What do y'all think?

I am not really sure that it would be needed. Once you tab in your deck to the side there should be plenty of strength and stability there. I would save the weight and extra time, just my opinion tho :)

joebarnes

Cadet

I covered my drain hole, I've been using epoxy the whole time while I've been glassing my stringers. I mixed a thick batch of cabosil to fill it in. I taped the out side of the boat with electrical tape. I'm going to drill out the screw holes. They have 5200 in them, and fill them with cabosil as well. Do I need to do a lay up of cloth on the outside or can I just sand and paint? I was very pleased with how I finished, thanks for the input!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 4

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it were me, I'd grind the area down a bit to dish it out then make a circular patch out of 3 or 4 increasingly larger layers of 1.5oz CSM on a piece of wax paper, largest one goes on the wax paper first. Wet it all out and carry it to the boat and apply it to the area in one fell swoop using a bondo spreader to smooth it into place. Do some final sanding and fairing. You can make your own "Fairing Filler by mixing Glass bubbles with Poly resin and a bit of Cabosil to the constency of Mayonaise. 1% MEKP. It spread smooth, sands easily and yields very few "Pin Holes" in the final finish.
WaxPaperPatch.jpg

Last edited:

joebarnes

Cadet

I'm starting to mess with my foam. I'm heating up the two parts to 85 degrees with an electric space heater. I'm checking it with a meat thermometer. I still don't feel like I'm getting the expansion like I should. I've been told that the foam can expand to 32 times it's size in liquid and it's no where close to that. I'm using 2lb two part polyurethane foam. When I pour it, I'm using a piece of ply wood to cap off the section I'm pouring with 2 in holes for vents for the foam to push out of. I have the ply wood covered in plastic to keep the foam from sticking to it. The kit I bought was for 40 cubic feet and it's looking like it will only get me about 30. I'm pulling the cap off each section after about a minute after what I can see stop growing. Some sections have grown a little above my stringers. What would be the best method to trim it? I have used a hand saw on a little bit of it but I feel like me grinder will be more productive. Please let me know if you agree with how I'm going about things. This is a first for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5