alum rivet replace basics

larryjawa

Cadet
Dear All, sorry for the most basic of questions... ie replacing alum rivets in a vintage rowboat w/ SS Truss head screws.
I got this far from previous threads looked at. Have removed the transom wood from a vintage 12' Sears vhull .
The old posts recommended the SS screws and flat washer plus nylon locknut. (w/drop of 5200)
My questions as follows: Nylon or SS flat washers? Washer under screw head, locknut or both?
If I had to guess, Id go nylon washer from outside under screw head?? Do I sink or float?? Thanks for entertaining this question.
Larry/NY Ashokan reservoir

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: alum rivet replace basics

I'd go with the SS washer and goop everything up good with 5200 just before installation, then remove excess 5200 after installation.

You didn't say how long the screws or rivets are you're going to install/replace, but if they 1/2" or less you may want to consider this method:
1989 Sylvan Boat Rebuild Part 4 - YouTube

larryjawa

Cadet
Re: alum rivet replace basics

Thanks for quick reply. Planning to use 1/2" ss screws, per older thread suggestion, and nylon insert ss locknuts.
SS washer both sides, then? Cant access youtube currently, but will look later. Thanks again.