how to do i prep my fberglass gelcoat coat hull for bottom paint?

undecided69

Seaman
i been doing lots of reading on gelcoat n it looks really difficult to match n apply so i would like to apply bottom paint the hull n maybe apply interlock 2000e before painting? Im not really sure what grid sandpaper i should used to remove the gelcoat pretty much i need to know all the prep before paint im willing to do the work n learn more about the awesome hobby any help will be appreciate much... i got beach rash on the keel last year n would like to fix before summer gets here. thank you

zool

Captain
Re: how to do i prep my fberglass gelcoat coat hull for bottom paint?

What are you trying to apply?. Are you looking to put antifouling "bottom paint" on as a topcoat, or paint the bottom to resemble you hull gel?

A little more info is gunna be needed, as the procedures are quite different.

Interlux 2000e epoxy is a good barrier coat, if using intelux topcoat. There are alot of options out there, comes down to budget and time......

A pic of the repair spot would help too ;)

undecided69

Seaman

i would like to remove the gelcoat n apply paint insted of having gelcoat n fail on me

zool

Captain

Ok, I see you're on a trailer, and assume you dont leave it in a slip for the season or extended periods of time.

I still need to know if you intend to spay on the paint system, or roll/brush it on. And if you are finishing the hull sides up to the rubrail, or just the water line.

Sorry for all the Q's, but you have alot of options, especially if you're equipted to spray.

If you're just gonna roll/brush, from the water line down, then here the quick.

You dont want to remove all the gel, thats a better base to start with, as opposed to raw glass.

Just apply a gel coat wax/grease remover per manufacturers instructions, then sand with 180 grit sandpaper in a cross hatch pattern, like and x pattern, giving you multi directional adhesion..

Wipe with acetone or achohol, and apply your primer and the system you want.

If you want to get a factory gel look from paint, and do the bottom and sides, andyou're spray equiptd, ill help u with an acrylic urethane option, but it costs more for materials.

undecided69

Seaman

ill b rolling n brushing an i would like to do from the waterline to the keel. Do you have a product you recomment to remove the wax n grease?

undecided69

Seaman

Can i use interlock 2000e then unepoxy paint or should i use epoxy paint?

zool

Captain

ill b rolling n brushing an i would like to do from the waterline to the keel. Do you have a product you recomment to remove the wax n grease?

There are other brands, but this has worked for me

Pettit Fiberglass Dewaxer For Gelcoat

The trick with this product is to apply it wet, then wipe it off withh a clean shop towel. use a new shop paper towel for each wipe. as it lifts the wax and contaminates up into the liquid, and if smeared back on the surface, well. its useless, and your adhesion will suffer.

Low VOC states now have to apply this with a spray bottle, then single rag wipe offf..this actually works fine. and is easier. imo

zool

Captain

Can i use interlock 2000e then unepoxy paint or should i use epoxy paint?

I know im still guessing here, but I get the idea you want to paint your bottom for a trailer baot. There is a big difference between bottom paint and painting a bottom..

I assume your in fresh water?

I assume you trailer and launch your boat for use?

Unepoxy is a pettit product, and 2000e is an Interlux producrt, Not saying it wont work, but its not intended to w
rk together.

My search of unexpoxy shows an anti fouling paint, which probably isnt what you want.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Zool, we need specifics on exactly how and where this boat will be used. I see you're located in the Lake Erie area. Will this boat be used in Lake Erie? Will it be moored in the lake long term? Trailiered? As Zool has stated these questions make a LOT of difference in the type of hull coatings to be used.

undecided69

Seaman

Theboat will be trailer the longest will stay in the water will be over night n yes i use our boat in lake erie n grand river.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it's trailered and only going to be overnighted then you don't need antifouling paint. You can repair the Gelcoat which is very durable or you can sand and prep and use a good 2 part epoxy paint. The Gelcoat is not removed to do either. A good cleaning and scuffing of the existing surface is all that's required to prep it for the new surface to be applied. I like to use Warm water and Tri Sodium Phosphate (TSP) sold at Lowe's and other places to clean and degrease the hull. The Sand and scuff with 80 grit and finish off with 180 grit. Final Wipe down with acetone and then apply the primer. Lots of choices. One of the Members here on the Forum uses this paint and says its one of the best systems he's ever used and he's used a lot. Supermarine Revolution (TS-1000)

zool

Captain

That Supermarine looks interesting Wood, nice base color selection, and tintable too...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

That Supermarine looks interesting Wood, nice base color selection, and tintable too...

Never heard of it..

YD.

IP2000 is very good but toxic ..

undecided69

Seaman

what grid sand paper should i use before i apply the primer

undecided69

Seaman

nvm. thanks woodonglas n zoo! im going to get started this weekend.