1967 16 ft Starcraft aluminum deep v restoration. First timer.

Bizzzay

Cadet
Re: 1967 16 ft Starcraft aluminum deep v restoration. First timer.

I was thinking scaffold-grade lumber of some sort since i only need a 9 inch width but i do have some leftover plywood from the decking i already have coated in epoxy resin so that might not be a bad idea at all. The paint i used is DTM Acrylic Marine. I work on cell phone towers and this is what we paint our antennas with. It was a color match from an existing antenna on a rooftop that i thought would look pretty good on the boat. Im not sure how it will hold up to the water but with budget constraints i figured id take the risk.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yeah if you read through this forum you will find most all here have used ply.

I have used some Rustoleum DTM on a couple of trailers and that has held up very well. Hard to tell from the pictures so is that a dark blue or black paint?

Last edited:

Bizzzay

Cadet

Its painted black, im planning on incorporating the Bruins spoked B into the name of the boat so black seemed like a solid move.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Post up a picture when you have that graphics done. I'd be interested in seeing it! Sounds cool. Around here one sees some really awefully done Green and Gold boats and then some that are tastefully done and look very nice.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hi Bizzzay, your well on your way to having a boat again rather than a yard waste bin.

On the transom, regular lumber isn't as strong as engineered wood (ply). Two 3/4" pieces of marine grade plywood glued together would weigh in nearly twice that of lumber, have no flex and way more resistance to the stress of an outboard motor. Glue, cut and dry fit. Then do the sealer.

Bizzzay

Cadet

Yeah Bonz_d, that was one of my worries was overdoing it with a tacky color scheme. For the most part going to be all black and white besides the name and numbering on the boat. I have a guy making me some designs now once he finishes them up ill post them here for some feedback.
Watermann i was doing some painting on the inside of the boat today and put a couple pieces of scrap plywood together to see how it would fit for the transom. Unfortunately i bought 23/32in ply so it falls about a 1/4in shy. Looks like ill be making a trip to the store this week.

Bizzzay

Cadet
No Title

Sorry its been so long since I last updated, been extremely busy with new house and 3 children 3 or under haha. there has been progress however! Console and transom rebuilt. new seats put in. doubled up some 7/8 plywood in the back bench, sturdy as a mothah! gonna screw a piece of strut to the bottom of the front bench to stiffen it up since i dont want to buy another piece of plywood. my wife is going to make the cushions for the seats. indoor/outdoor carpet has been put in and really made the boat pop for me/boosted motivation. need to pick up a gas tank to try and start the motor (73' 50hp evinrude). Had a question for you guys on what kind of steering i can use with the steering connection on this motor. it was cable and pulley prior to gutting the boat so im not sure what is compatible or if i will just need some kind of adapter? thanks for checking her out!
-Brad

Bizzzay

Cadet
Anybody know of there being any issue with running this engine in salt water? I would be rinsing out after every use

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer
Cant see the pics but your fine running it in saltwater... rinse after use... never heard of a "freshwater only" motor...

Bizzzay

Cadet
Thats what i originally thought until the guys on my crew at work said they had heard something about switching from fresh to salt being bad for the motor. Shoulda known by now theyre full of it.

Bizzzay

Cadet
Some good news and bad news. Had my uncle over today and we were able to get the motor running. Good compression, idling great. Bad news is the water doesnt seem to be pumping all the way up and engine started running hot. Pulled the thermostat out and put it in a pot on the stove. Opened right up and closed up under cool water. Planning on dropping the lower next weekend to see if we can figure it out. Any easy fixes to look for first?

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replace the impeller. Should be done yearly or at least biannually. After that, check seals, and the pickup tube running from the impeller to the engine, some old ones crack letting no water reach the engine. But I'd put my two cents on the impeller. Replace it even if it looks ok.