1987 Sea Ray Seville "Re-Re-Restoration"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Note: I am a bit long-winded with the background so feel free to skip ahead to the good stuff.

Background: The purchase of my 1987 Seville 175 19" came about by pure luck. Playing darts at a local pub one night, I randomly mention to my buddy I was thinking about buying a boat. The guy playing next to us turns around and says "hey, a friend of mine is selling his boat. 1980's something, Seaville Ray, Stingray, some sh** like that. Can't remember. I can ask him about it for you." Sure, why not, so I grab his number and continue playing. Few minutes later he taps me on the shoulder; "Yo. I talked to my friend and he sent some pics. Check it out."

Knowing nothing about boats, I tell the guy I am interested in checking it out and I will give him a call tomorrow. Next day (after enlisting the help of my buddy John who has extensive knowledge on boats, mechanics, etc) we make the short trip to go give her the look-over. Ring the bell, make our introductions, and the guy points us to the boat. "Go check her out, she is under the canopy. Can't walk out with you though, house-arrest" pointing to the bracelet on his ankle.

Upon inspection, boat looks pretty good (but what do I know). It seems this bowrider had been converted into some sort of fishing vessel; tons of wood, bent rusted drywall screws sticking up from the deck, and a gray bumpy substance covering everything but the helm. The Shorelandr aluminum roller trailer she was sitting on looked to be in excellent condition though (aside from old tires and a worn keel roller). From his doorway he yells "not sure if she runs still, but everything is solid. I think there might be an ignition issue." We turn the key and the engine cranks a bit; John turns to me and says "We will have to do some work to her bro, but if the price is right you should buy this puppy."

Heeding his advice we walk up to the door and tell the guy I am interested. "What are you looking for her?" I ask. "$1400 including the trailer." I tell him, "I have $900 cash, do we have a deal?" "Eh" he replied, I really needed to get a least a grand." I explain to him I might be able to come up with the extra hundred but I could not make any promises. He stood there for a second, rubbed his chin, and stuck out his hand. "Deal" As he is signing over the title he tells me, "By the way, I am the original owner; all of the paperwork and manuals are in the glovebox. She is a great boat, you will enjoy her." Nodding in agreement I hand over the cash, hook up the boat, and we head back to John's house.

Back at the house, we throw in a new battery, slap some muffs on the drive, and turn the key. Few pumps of the throttle and she fires right up...and she sounds good. Real good. My buddy turns to me and says "Damn man, you just got the deal of the century. Now lets get to ripping her apart."

That was the beginning to a year long restoration project. Most of the engine work was done by John; gimbal, bellows, timing, plugs, etc., while I handled the teardown and rebuild of the interior. I knew nothing about boats before I found this forum, but was able to a "complete" restoration with the knowledge I learned here. Not saying my work was perfect (far from, in fact) but it was a good introduction to the world of boat restoration.

Fast forward to a few months ago:

After an oil extracting container explosion (quarts of crude soaking carpet) and finding an almost completely collapsed motor mount, I decided to "re-restore" the Dirty Oar. Along with current pictures of my progress, I will also be posting "before-after-after" photos showing the things I did wrong and how I will go about fixing them. I hope this post will help some folks avoid some of the mistakes I made along the way; armed with more experience & knowledge than before, I am certain this go-around will be much better.

Of course any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcomed; I am here to continue learning as well as lending a hand to those who need it. Enjoy the show.

- Kabookey

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville "Re-Re-Restoration"

Here is a list of the tools/supplies I have purchased thus far. I am most certain I will be making a few more trips to the store but I figure it is a good starting point. If you happen to be in the Orlando/Daytona/Gainesville area and are looking for a good local supplier PM me for the details.

DeWalt 7.5AMP 12000RPM angle grinder
PorterCable Oscillating Tool (I love this thing)
Shop fan
(5) 36 grit flap discs
60, 80, 120 grit flap discs
5 gallons poly resin w/MEKP hardener
20yrds 1.5oz CSM
10yrds 3/4oz CSM
25yrds 6" 1708 tape
10yrds 4oz cloth
5 quarts cabosil
5 quarts q-cells
Aluminum fiberglass roller
9" Fiberglass roller handle
(5) 1/4" nap phenolic core resin rollers
3M Respirator
(2) Tyvek suits
Mixing cups & stir sticks

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Some of my progress thus far; deck removed, hull partially grinded, engine pulled. I plan on finishing up the grinding tomorrow so I can start cutting out the stringers.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

man.. that just looks like a HUGE PROJECT! keep the pics coming !

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

All I can say is that boat was well bastardized by the PO... let's see how well you can straighten it out.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is what she looked like after the first restoration (would have posted these first but I just found the photos on an old hard drive).

Wrapped all the wood with new vinyl & foam, new carpet, and had a new instrument & fuse panel cut out of anodized aluminum. Another buddy of mine found these Chaparral seats in the trash (yes, the trash) and gave them to me for free (any good suggestions for cleaning these things please let me know). Two months later he ends up buying a boat and wants his seats back...I told him to go pound sand (I'm a good friend.)

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All I can say is that boat was well bastardized by the PO... let's see how well you can straighten it out.
None of the wood had any resin or glass on it and it was waterlogged to the core. I was able to snap off rusted drywall screws to get the deck removed. For what its worth though, he certainly took very good care of the engine, and I thank him for that, hah.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

man.. that just looks like a HUGE PROJECT! keep the pics coming !

That go-around took me right around a year to do; since it was my first time I had to do a TON of research mixed with some trial and error. Perhaps I am overly ambitious but I am shooting for a June 1st re-launch (making good progress so we will see.)

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Today was spent changing out trailer tires & rims so not much work was done. This is the area I will be concentrating on tomorrow...

Below is some of my shoddy fiberglass work; I did not bother to prep that area so a good bond was never formed. I was able to remove this piece with a slight nudge.

The Lesson Learned: Half-assed efforts yields half-assed results. Take the time to properly prep any and all areas you are working on.

This is the collapsed motor mount I was talking about in a previous post. I will rip off the cap tomorrow and post some pics.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Going to subscribe to this one to go along for the ride. Might learn a few more things along the way.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the cap ripped off of the mounts and all I can say is I am surprised they held up this long. It was a mess in there...

Serious Sea Ray design flaw here; no tabbing between stringer and hull, just foam. You can see where the foam penetrated into the mount, so once water got in there it was never getting out.

I have decided I will be rebuilding the engine mounts the same way friscoboater did his (frisco, I swiped a photo for demonstration purposes, royalties are in the mail)

This design eliminates an area that water can collect, plus you can use through bolts instead of those pesky lag bolts.
Here is a link to friscoboaters page for the engine mounts. This is an excellent resource for anyone doing a complete teardown to rebuild restoration.

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found what appears to be some kind of bracket in the bilge; does anyone have any clue what this could be for?

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mount removed now on to the next side.

If you are looking for a good degreaser, the ZEP commercial degreaser (purchased at HD) worked really well to cut down the years of crud built up in the bilge. I used a slightly higher concentration with warm water in a spray bottle, let it sit for a few minutes and it came up with no issues.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

If you are looking for a good degreaser, the ZEP commercial degreaser (purchased at HD) worked really well to cut down the years of crud built up in the bilge. I used a slightly higher concentration with warm water in a spray bottle, let it sit for a few minutes and it came up with no issues.

Thats what's in my parts washer... I also drilled a hole in it and wired up a 1500W hot water heater element to help.. Works toally BA!

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats what's in my parts washer... I also drilled a hole in it and wired up a 1500W hot water heater element to help.. Works toally BA!

Agreed 100%; the stuff is amazing and works better than anything else I have tried before.

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

Nice job with the pics! Reminds me of my first boat, an 1982 17' SeaRay open bow I picked up on a whim from a friend. Hull was in great shape (stored inside all it's life) but engine was "toast" due to freeze damage. The friend had money and basically ended up putting a new engine in it for me. I chipped in a little. Anyway, looks like you'll have all of her in top shape soon! Keep up the good work!

kabookey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice job with the pics! Reminds me of my first boat, an 1982 17' SeaRay open bow I picked up on a whim from a friend. Hull was in great shape (stored inside all it's life) but engine was "toast" due to freeze damage. The friend had money and basically ended up putting a new engine in it for me. I chipped in a little. Anyway, looks like you'll have all of her in top shape soon! Keep up the good work!

Much thanks! There is just something about these older model Ray's, they have this "timeless" factor to them if you know what I mean. Do you still own the boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.