removing a windshield and plugging motor mount holes, deck paint etectera

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi folks, I am in the process of switching over all the hardware from my old 16' boat to a new old one. The boats are identical model runabouts but I have "upgraded" from my 1967 to a 78 (not without a few deep sighs of regret). The old one needed a new floor and transom and had a flex leak in the hull that has had two repairs fail and got the foam wet. Could all be fixed but I don't have time and I got a reasonable deal on the replacement boat for less than it would cost to have someone else do the repairs.<br /><br />Anyway, the old one has a nicer windshield than the new one so I would like to swap them but don't want to make trouble for myself. In looking at them (classic raked windshields) I assume you just undo the visible screws in the corners but I am wondering if everything will go back together ok or whether I will have to replace the rubber gaskets around the glass if I disassemble. <br /><br />Another question is whether marine tex is ok to fill the old motor mount holes when I switch motors. I don't really want to mix up any glass if I can avoid it but I also don't know if the epoxy will fill a hole that big or bond properly to the wood around the holes (I am assuming there will be some rot/moisture around the holes although transom is pretty sound)<br /><br />Last question is about deck paint. New old one had an orange deck. I would like to paint it white. I am thinking I can use interlux brightside and tip and roll it. I've not done this before but have been told it is not too hard. The question for me is whether the paint surface will be hard enough for deck use and whether it will stand up to UV's in salt water use.<br /><br />Probably will have more questions but that's it for now.

D

DJ

Re: removing a windshield and plugging motor mount holes, deck paint etectera

Dave,<br /><br />Don't disassemble the windshield, if you can avoid it. You should be able to see the attachment screws, from below.<br /><br />Are you sure the motor attachment holes aren't the same? If not, drive wood dowel rods (cut to length) in the holes and then seal with Marine Tex.<br /><br />I like the Brightside product. It should hold up well.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks Djohn. I will go with dowels and brightside.<br /><br />The windshields are both screwed into the deck from above, not bolted, so all I see are screw threads underneath. You have to disassemble the windshields somehow to expose the screw heads.

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Usually there is some sort of molding on the frames that snaps in. The screw heads should be underneath these moldings. If you want to make it non skid you can mix in some Intergrip non skid compound or use Interlux Interdeck which is brightsides with the non skid compound arlready added. It also has the flattening agent in it to make it non glare for use on decks.<br /><br />H90