Starting new project 1973 Sea Ray 240 SRV

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
My materials arrived. When I said I was distracted it didn't mean I wasn't working on the boat cause there is always something to do. But now I can really start putting the structure back in the old gal. KIYIYIPPIEYIYEA!!. Start a thread again shortly, hope pics aren't as difficult but man oh man today was like you a 100 degrees under the tarp.
Good to see you back at it too!

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know what you mean about the temp under the tarp. It is always a good 10 deg warmer under the tarp for me.

Today got the rest of the fillets done today along with the start of the tabbing. I was able to put the first layer of tabbing in the two rear boxes and the front starboard box. I ran out of pre-cut thin tabbing material. Will have to cut some more.

IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0366.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Forecast for tomorrow, partly sunny, light wind, and highs in the upper 60's. Took the day off of work. Plan on getting all the tabbing done tomorrow. Might even go and pick up the wood for the deck.

sheboyganjohn

Even with the cool weather its friggin hot under that canopy. Have the rest of the 6" tabs in place and just about all the 10" tabs. Still have all the tabbing in the motor well and the fuel tank area, but those are all outside the sealed deck area so I have put those on hold until I get the deck in so I can finally uncover the boat and not have to worry about water getting into an area that will not drain. After a short hydration break I will get back at it.

sheboyganjohn

Also forgot I have one more set of stringers to put it. The outer ones at the edge of the hull. Will work on those tomorrow.

sheboyganjohn

Finished up the tabbing on Wednesday. Busy the rest of the week and weekend until today. Cut the rear 8' of the outer stringer and fit them, but it was too late to pick up some PL for bedding. Will try and get to that tomorrow evening. My 8 day work week and turned into a 10 day week so not much will get done until Thursday.

sheboyganjohn

Sons truck died so it has been find a replacement and then work on fixing the issues with the new truck. Was able to get some work in-between. Installed the outer stringers, the bottoms in the new storage boxes and did the glass work. Was going to do the gel coat in the boxes tonight but ended up grilling instead. Here are the pics before I started glassing. The little trough is for the fuel line. Going to run it through the box instead of through the foam. Want to keep the foam chambers completely sealed.

IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Nice! I like the wells for the Big Fish!!

Either fish, coolers, or just regular storage. Figured put some use to the unused space under the deck.

Finally have the deck all cut out and waiting for the glass to dry under the deck sections that go over the storage lockers. Leaving the back of the wood bare since it will be in sealed boxes that will be filled with foam. If I get water in the boxes I want the floor to rot so I know I have a hull issue. With any luck I will get them PL'ed in today.

Had perfect weather and most of the week off of work to work on the boat all week but spent most of it working on my sons new to him truck, then my truck ate a brake pad, then blew a caliper when I was replacing the pads. State fair one day with the admiral and now the company picnic today, don't know how much more I will get done this week. I will take tomorrow off. Admiral wants to go out on the other boat. Since it has only been out once this year, sounds like a good idea to me.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I hope you are at least wetting out the wood and it's not completely bare?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Going out now to glass in some stringers too. I guess I should start a post.

sheboyganjohn

I hope you are at least wetting out the wood and it's not completely bare?

Nope, left it bare. They will be coated enough when the foam is poured in. The only way water can ever get inside is if a hole is drilled through the deck (I will not even be screwing anything to the deck, let alone drill holes) or the hull will have to get damaged. And if that happens I will have to pull up the floor to repair it anyways. Some of the dry stringer sections I pulled out were not coated at all, just floating in the foam. If they stayed dry for 40 years with how wet and rotten the rear of those stringers were, I see no issues with leaving them uncoated.

We are now all glued, screwed and tabbed in. Just some sanding to do when I have time the next day or so and I will be able to put down the CSM top coat for the deck and exposed stringers.

Had a good day on the lake this afternoon with the admiral. Only 6 perch but with the two of us that is enough fillets for a meal.

sheboyganjohn

Got the layer of CSM on the deck and some of the stringer faces. Took over 2 gallons of resin. Have just a bit left. Hopefully enough to tab in the inside of the engine well so I can shoot the entire thing with gelcoat this weekend.

IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0395.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Ended up with a wonderful summertime cold this past weekend. Finally started feeling better and got some more work done. The engine well is all tabbed in, put another layer in the center of the transom, some of the tabbing went up to the keyhole so I had to add above it to keep everything flat. Ground the old carpet adhesive off the side of the hull, cleaned it up with some MEK and rolled in a coat of gelcoat. I am now going to clean it out and put it away for the year. Will start up again in the spring. Most likely will work on mechanical stuff (rebuild gimbal assembly, engine work) over the winter. I will post up a pic in a couple of days after I get it all cleaned out and ready to be put away.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Don't want to rain on your parade but...in a sealed/foamed hull the variations in temps..Hot to cold will cause condensation which will create moisture under the deck. ALL bare would should be coated and sealed to prevent eventual moisture pentetration. But...having said that, it's your boat/project and your decision.;)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
John, you should have at least another month to work on it prior to temps dropping significantly.

sheboyganjohn

Don't want to rain on your parade but...in a sealed/foamed hull the variations in temps..Hot to cold will cause condensation which will create moisture under the deck. ALL bare would should be coated and sealed to prevent eventual moisture pentetration. But...having said that, it's your boat/project and your decision.;)

Well a little late for that now. I understand you reasoning, but I found uncoated wood in the boat that was just fine after 40+ years of Wisconsin weather and not showing any signs of moisture let alone rotting, I guess I will have to take my chances because I am not cutting the deck back out.

sheboyganjohn

John, you should have at least another month to work on it prior to temps dropping significantly.

Yes, but I have been working on boats all summer for that last 3 years. Would like a little time to enjoy. Besides I have some work I want to do on the dory before duck hunting season.