Starting new project 1973 Sea Ray 240 SRV

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here are the pictures I promised. I will finish up the rest now that the deck is dry. Needed somewhere to stand.

IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0401.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Cleaned the boat out today, replaced the bad tire and hauled it off to the storage unit. Still have some misc parts laying around the yard to clear out. I will have to make the last dump run to empty the trailer and then I will round up the last parts and take them to the storage unit. Then it is time to do the next round of work on the dory.

sheboyganjohn

The project has not died. Had to take a year off to do some house projects. Boat is back in the yard. Yesterday drilled the holes for the drive mounts through the new transom and finally foamed the hull. Glassed the plugs back in today and getting ready to head to the storage unit to get a sheet of plywood so I can get started on the front engine mount. Will get some pics up either tonight after getting back from the in-laws or tomorrow night.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I hear you, just finished a kitchen remodel, and whole house update. Wife emptied the boat fund on cabinets and granite

sheboyganjohn

Here are some more pics.

A little dirty coming back home after sitting outside at a storage unit for the last year and a half.
IMG_1109.JPG

Ground a bunch of the squeeze out junk off the back of the boat and got it a bit dusty.

IMG_1110.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

IMG_1112.JPG
Drilling the holes and cutting out the opening for the hatches. The gelcoat areas were hard as a rock. The raw glass inside had a very slight tack to it. Guess you really need to use the wax to get it to completely set up.

IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1116.JPG

Drilling out all the holes for pouring in the foam.

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Holes plugs all glassed back in. Still debating about putting another layer of mat on the deck.

IMG_1121.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Drilled a drain hole and glassed it in the lower back corner of each storage compartment to drain into the bilge.

IMG_1126.JPG IMG_1127.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

I cut and glassed in the center engine mount supports. This will be a heck of a lot better then the 2x4 kickstand that was in there before. Going with a triple layer engine mount, two outer laminates of 3/4 plywood with a core of 3/4" rubber core vibration reducing plywood. I bought a bunch of stuff from the closing auction for Palmer Johnson Yachts and a chunk of the rubber core plywood was in one of my lots.

IMG_1131.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

I have the first layer of plywood glassed in. Messed my back up last weekend moving the storage unit so the going has been slow. Started messing with the transom assemblies for the motors. Have the old MC-1 units with the pinned in pivot pins and the spline to spline gimbal ring. Of course they both have some slop in them and the only way to fix is to upgrade. I had bought a spare MC-1 on E-bay a couple of years ago. The ones with the least amount of slop will be going on for now. Should have some new pictures up tonight or tomorrow.

sheboyganjohn

Got the front motor mount board in. Just need to tab it in and glass the top. Spent the rest of the day working on the gimbal assemblies for the motors. Rebuilt the spare I bought on E-bay and then fought with the one I am going to use from the original ones. Could not get the retaining pin out of the hinge pin. Tired even grinding the top off and driving it in, broke two punches. Ended up hammering the hinge pin inwards shearing off the stainless pin. Now I will need to completely remove the gimbal ring so I can get it on the drill press to drill out the broken parts of the hinge pin. Here are some pics of the front motor mount area.

IMG_1141.JPG IMG_1142.JPG

Here you can see the rubber core plywood I used for the middle layer.

IMG_1143.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Was able to finish glassing in the motor mount this past weekend. Here are the pictures of it tabbed in with two layers of 1708 and a layer of CSM over the top. Just need to clean up the edge with a bit of sanding.

IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1146.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

The gimbal assembly is really pissing me off. Took it in the basement, have everything off to remove the ring, except the allen head bolt that keeps the upper pivot pin from sliding out. Have soaked it with PB blaster, applied heat and used one of the hand held impact drivers and all I have managed to do was to start rounding out the allen socket. Found another used unit on craiglist for a reasonable price. Think I will just buy that one.
And on a somewhat unrelated note, the motor on the dory died at the launch yesterday. Giving me codes for two failed injectors. I think the dory will just stay in storage for now. I want to get at least one boat done and running, and the Sea Ray seems like a better, and for the time being, cheaper option.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you talking about the Allen screw in the swivel ring?

Mines already removed, but after soaking it for a while I used a SnapOn Ezzee out screw extractor on it. After the allen socket got stripped out it was either drill or try an ezout on it.

I have a little write up on how I did it in my one of my links.

Also you do not need to remove the shaft at the exhaust bellow area, you just need to modify the bellows install tool and come in from the backside of assembly when installing. Otherwise that set screw is a B#^*&.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's also an Allen screw in the pivot pin shaft. Look at previous photo for it.

sheboyganjohn

Thanks or the info. I was able to install the exhaust bellows on the other drive unit with out the tool. Just a bit of swearing while using my fingers and a screw driver being careful not to punch a hole in the bellows.

From the manual it looks like you do not need to remove the lower allen screw in the center of the shaft unless you are going to use a slide hammer to pull it. Is this correct?

I ended up getting a complete unit with very little steering slop (a lot less than the two original ones) for $75 so I will just use the one I am working on for any experimentation I want to do.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I actual removed the set screw on top of the unit, put a long thin punch in and tapped it out.
A slide hammer will work.

I do know after you clean up the shaft the farther in with the Allen screw the tighter it gets.
It seems like it is applying pressure to the sides, trying to force the back sections apart.

If you get the long Allen bolt out, I got my replacement from Lowes.

sheboyganjohn

It has been one of those days. Planned on putting both transom assemblies on today and maybe even get one engine in. Went to put one outer assembly on and it would not fit. The drive shaft opening was too big for the inner transom plate. That was the older spare outer assembly I bought. Looks like it was for a V-8 based on the exhaust pipe that came with it. So I then went and grabbed the unit I purchased over the weekend. Went to pull the shift cable out of it, and it would not come out. There was a crimped sleeve on the motor end. Was looking how to pull apart the drive end and found that it is a different style shift cable. The nut is on the back of the gimbal housing instead of inside. I then checked the bearing and it is froze up. With all the grease packed behind the shift cable, My guess it was leaking. Guess I will pull the gimbal housing off and put one of the other ones on. Then I have to figure out how to get one of the other mounting plates apart so I can use the other good gimbal ring and housing. Then when I put it on found I had the wrong thread nuts for the main mounting studs, and the bolts I bought for the other mounting holes were too long. Back to Fleet Farm for more parts. I at least test fitted the one with the frozen bearing and it went on ok. So at least I drilled the holes correctly.

Then to add insult to injury, I had a stock of Awlgrip paint I was selling off. Sold 10 of the last 11 gallons and ended up finding out I had mixed two different paints when I put the boxes on the shelf so the person that ordered 10 Awlcraft, I only had 8 (counting one I had saved for myself), I had 4 regular Awlgrip mixed in. Hopefully he will at least take the 8 and I guess I will be using the Awlgrip instead of Awlcraft.

sheboyganjohn

OK did some more reading and found out it is the old style shift cable. It looks in good condition so I think I will take it apart and see what I can do with it.