Center console steering / control cable help!

matantiques

Cadet
Hello to all.<br /><br />I have a question and hope I explain it the right way without sounding too stupid :eek: ; I am changing my boat from a side mount steering to a center console. I am passing a 2 1/2" pvc pipe under the floor from the console to the stern. Where the PVC reaches the bilge, the hull is too shallow to fit the PVC pipe and thus it is protruding above the wood. I am fastening my gas tank along the entire width of the stern in the bilge area which leads to my question. Should the cable exit the PVC pipe and go under the long gas tank to the motor or should I get two smaller tanks for the ends and have the PVC exit clear for the cable? I am leaving about 2" under the gas tank for drainage. Does anyone have any other tips or instructions on installing steering and control cables for a new center console? :( :(

tailgunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Center console steering / control cable help!

Are your steering, throttle cables and wiring harness going through the conduit? Just make sure there are no sharp bends as it exits as this will affect steering and throttle control.<br /><br />My cables all run through a scupper that is along the starboard side. This allows a nice sweep as the cables exit.<br /><br /> http://www.nbrigham.com/boat/images/sterndeck.jpg <br /> http://www.nbrigham.com/boat/images/stern4.jpg

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

As tailgunner said, as long as you can achieve sweeping bends as opposed to sharp bends, you can do it any way you want. On mine, the cables exit the tube and curve to the left then curve up and back to the right going to the motor (as you are facing the rear inside the boat). Kind like a backwards question mark. Also, 2 1/2 pvc may be a bit small. I used 4 inch on my center console conversion, and after all the control cables and wiring, its getting tight in there. I have a nylon cord permanently mounted in there so I can tie off new wiring or whatever and pull it through without having to fish for it. Make sure you set up something similar, it will make your life so much easier. Good luck...

matantiques

Cadet

Thanks for the responses guys. All good ideas especially the nylon cord for future needs. I think I will then increase the size of the PVC to 3 1/2" diameter. I think anything larger will be excessive. I am making the center console and the only "sharp" curve is the initial one to the PVC entry. I hope this wont affect the steering. <br />Should all cables go through the same PVC or should I split the steering and control cables? If anyone has pictures of a center console conversion, please send them to me. I need all the ideas I can get. Have a great weekend!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You could run two pvc tubes side by side, that would work. Have you not looked at my conversion? If not, click the link on the bottom of this post.

tailgunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not a conversion, but I have pix of the console I am building. Expect to have it on the boat by the time the rain stops on Saturday.<br /><br /> http://console.nbrigham.com