Filler Materials: Cabosil, microballoons, Poly Lam resin. Need wax for sanding?

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 18 FT Bonito Bowrider with an outboard. In the process of sole, stringer, and transom replacement. I am almost ready to install new materials and have a question about filler materials. I have cabosil, glass microballoons, and un-waxed polyester laminating resin. I need to know if I have to add wax to the mixure to be able to use it as a fairing mix or for fillets that might need some sanding.

A little more info on the boat: Cap is off, sole is out, stringers and transom out, and about 80% of the inside of the hull has been ground to a fresh layer of glass using 36 grit flap disks and an orbital sander with hook and loop 40 grit. Template made for transom, still need to cut the new wood. I got the hollow fiberglass shell once containing the old wooden stringers ground out very close to where they met the hull. Thinking of using them as rough templates vs. scribe and post method. I plan to use 1.5oz CSM, then 18oz woven, followed by another layer of 1.5oz CSM. for the stringer and transom layup. I still need to buy more wood for the sole/deck. I am wondering if downgrading to a cheaper wood for that portion would be on ok idea or not? On the inner sides of the hull there was previously carpet there is all sanded and I plan to sand the rest of the boat down and primer, then paint using an air compressor and 20 oz. HVLP gravity feed spray gun. Will post pics if anyone responds to this message.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Filler Materials: Cabosil, microballoons, Poly Lam resin. Need wax for sanding?

Hi and welcome to iBoats. I did not add any wax in my case and the filler sanded with no problems at all. Make sure to "wash" the area with Acetone first before glassing or filling. Best of luck to you.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Filler Materials: Cabosil, microballoons, Poly Lam resin. Need wax for sanding?

The thickened resin can be grinded/sanded without wax from my experience. I used my old stringers for templates and wish I would have scribed it. There were sections that didn't cut as close to the hull I guessed at when tracing the new ones that left me a fair amount of shaping to do with a grinder, as well as some spots that needed a lot of filler underneath. But yours may be a better cut.

I don't know how that amount of glass for stringers compares to two layers of 1708, but I know 1.5 oz doesn't add much strength. Most guys use two layers of 1708 biax, it has chopped strand sewn to the backside.

When you say cheaper plywood for the sole, what ply do you mean? From my understanding any exterior grade ply with waterproof glue can work.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

+1 on the 1708.

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I heard from a friend that the 1.5oz CSM, 18oz Roven, then 1.5oz CSM schedule would work and be strong enough. I appreciate the responses and I am glad to know I don't need the wax for the filler/fairing material. I am not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but I am curious if I need to sand completely through my existing gelcoat to repaint the boat. Or would a ruff n scuff using something like 120grit on an orbital sander be enough for good adhesion of primer and paint. The boat will sit on a trailer mostly in my garage. I only paid $500 for the boat, trailer, and motor. I installed a rebuilt and re-bored powerhead that cost me another $800 on a good lower unit and it runs great. The old transom had a steel plate for reinforcement and when I popped it off it took some of the gelcoat with it exposing fiberglass. There also many very small blisters just under where that plate was. I used a wire brush to get off all the glue and other crap that the prior owner (who did a half ***** job on reinforcing a rotten transom and throwing wood down over the old fiberglass with an old rotted out deck underneath..they just screwed plywood right over the old floor layed carpet and called it a day.)

Anyhow, when I place the transom wood in I plan on gluing my 2 pieces of 3/4 inch ply together with a layer of the CSM between them. Then I plan on gluing that (the transom) to the outer skin via a layer of CSM as well. Ten tab the transom in with CSM, ROVEN, then CSM.

Sorry if this post is all over the place.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No need to sand off the gelcoat. 180 grit is good enuf. The first link in my signature below has some good info for your restoration project.

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Woodonglass! I am currently trying to find more about the arauco plywood and where I can find it near Ocala FL. I am curious if I can find it cheaper than the $80 sheets of Douglas fir AB marine grade that I bought 3 sheets of so far. Do you know if it would be suitable with polyester resin?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Arauco Is great stuff. 7 plys with almost NO voids. Flat as glass. If you can find it...Use it!!!;)

Slacker411

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be posting a new thread titled 18ft Bonito Bowrider Restoration under fiberglass boat repair.

FxAnimator

Recruit

Hey there,, Im new to the forum and boating aswell. But have a vast expertise with Cabo Sil as a thicxatropic component in resins, etc. A 15yr career in animatronics for movie and museum industries where the use of cabo sil was extensive. FYI THIS PRODUCT Should be handeled with care. now mind you the ketchup in your fridge right now contains cabo sil and is harmless when consumed? However when inhailed in very limited amounts even will cause gross legions. A cough you wont get rid of, fumed silica aka cabo sil is basically small slivers of glass. so care in use is a must. heapa filters, dust collection or containment cabnets and personell resperator aswell well you can email me at fxanmator@q.com Now back to my search for knowledge 24ft Skipjack Volvo Penta DP 5.7 looking to repower wth 7.4